Relocate newer stove to corner or stay in original location?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ridered81

Nov 9, 2022
Eastern Maine
Looking to upgrade this summer with a new wood stove for my small 600sq ft cabin located in Eastern Maine. Cabin will be fully insulated as well this summer. My question is should I relocate the new stove in the corner so it would reach the back bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom or leave in place? Not sure if placing new stove in same location will reach the back bedroom due to wall but think having it in the corner would reach better. Cabin is 37x16 with ceiling fan in living room. Corner install would be where the arrow is pointed to. Thoughts?

6E3BD4D6-5662-4A75-AE6D-5BFCEABE605F.jpeg A3BE979C-7239-40D1-9B0F-023149F7938B.jpeg

Really can’t comment on your setup but we have a corner install in our family room of our Cape. More of an open floor plan. 36’x26’. We put in the smaller PE Vista rated up to 1,500 sq ft. but stove definitely can handle a larger footprint. The heat from the stove with the help of a VODA stove fan has no problem heating the dining room and bathroom which are located at the other end of the house. Also heats upstairs and keeps the 3 bedrooms warm.

This would be moving the stove to the left...? I doubt you would see much if any benefit for the amount of work involved. Moving air is one of the bigger issues many of us have. I would suggest some small fans in the cool rooms on the floor pushing the cool air out into the stove room. Search the forum for threads regarding air movement...

If the move is to a new place in the same room, I don't think you will see any change. If your redoing all the insulation in the house, that can make a huge difference in the far rooms. They won't cool down as fast, and the stove heat will be more effective.

As to the corner installation. I did, as it gives you much more open space in the room. And the corner isn't being used for anything. It is better for viewing the fire from any angle in the room.

A new location will not help much. It's the narrow doorway that is blocking heat distribution. Put a table or box fan on the bedroom floor pointing toward the stove room and run it on low speed. The displaced cold bedroom air will be replaced by warm air at the top of the doorway.

What will be the replacement stove? How tall will the flue system be on the new stove?

A new location will not help much. It's the narrow doorway that is blocking heat distribution. Put a table or box fan on the bedroom floor pointing toward the stove room and run it on low speed. The displaced cold bedroom air will be replaced by warm air at the top of the doorway.

What will be the replacement stove? How tall will the flue system be on the new stove?
The new stove I’ve decided will be a TN20. The flue pipe height I’m guessing would be around 15ft. I’d have to measure the old pipe to determine.

Sounds good!

Agreed, I'd also leave it where it is. It will radiate into the space where you took the pic from, which appears to be the main area where you spend the most time.
As mentioned, you can move cooler, dense air back to the stove room, 8" fan on the floor on low, which will displace warmer air to where the cool air is taken from. Or you may just want the bedroom a bit cooler, and with the better insulation it will be fine back there.

Reactions: Ridered81
Agree with everyone else. Leave it and use fans on slow speed. That's what i do.

Reactions: Ridered81
The stove now is a focal point and area to congregate around. Historically stoves were centered to allow seating and work areas all around. It's in a good place where it is. Convection air moves pretty quickly to and from the stove, so moving it slightly to the corner wouldn't alter that flow by very much.