Remember to check the weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jetsam

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
youtu.be
So yesterday I decided not to feed the fire in the morning even though the house was coolish, figured it'd warm up on its own. It was cloudy all day and only went up to 60 all day, so after dinner I decided that the weather wasn't doin' it for me, and loaded up the stove, which was down to just a few low embers. Having not looked at the forecast, I stuffed that puppy full as I usually do.

That was great for the evening, but it got a little warm and I turned it down to a very low burn, and this turned out to be a hot sweaty mistake.

Now it's 10 PM the next day, about 28 hours later. It was 80 degrees outside today, and the stove is STILL at 275 stovetop.

Moral: Check the forecast before you load your stove. You can put more wood in, but it's not advised to take wood out. ;)

Got a 39 degree night and a bunch of 40s coming up, so I'll have the opportunity to screw this up again. Spikey shoulder season!

My stove has been cold for about 2 weeks. It's hard to make yourself only put a little wood in the stove. And like you I often end up heating everyone out of the house. Have also been crazy busy with the nicer weather (landscaper) so the furnace has been taking care of my heating needs. I hope to have once last "good bye until next season" fire with the stove though.

So yesterday I decided not to feed the fire in the morning even though the house was coolish, figured it'd warm up on its own. It was cloudy all day and only went up to 60 all day, so after dinner I decided that the weather wasn't doin' it for me, and loaded up the stove, which was down to just a few low embers. Having not looked at the forecast, I stuffed that puppy full as I usually do.

That was great for the evening, but it got a little warm and I turned it down to a very low burn, and this turned out to be a hot sweaty mistake.

Now it's 10 PM the next day, about 28 hours later. It was 80 degrees outside today, and the stove is STILL at 275 stovetop.

Moral: Check the forecast before you load your stove. You can put more wood in, but it's not advised to take wood out. ;)

Got a 39 degree night and a bunch of 40s coming up, so I'll have the opportunity to screw this up again. Spikey shoulder season!

This is a good example of one of my reasons for running the stove according too the extended forecast since getting the BK. No such thing as an evening fire to take the chill off once you load that puppy full in the shoulder season. You're committed for the next 24-36 hours.

It feels really weird to load a BK half full. I'm so used to stuffing it like a package of hot dogs.

Reactions: tarzan
So i checked the extended forecast. It's spring alright. I loaded my A30 half full. Been running full throttle for two hours. Wife is still in long pants.

What do i do now?

So i checked the extended forecast. It's spring alright. I loaded my A30 half full. Been running full throttle for two hours. Wife is still in long pants.

What do i do now?

Move!

Just kidding but I did check your forecast and I think you should probably follow your wife's lead in putting on long pants.