Remodel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
EAE60823-E5C5-4B0F-B469-045D5E60C518.jpeg

I have been away for a while but I knew where to turn for some help. If all goes well we will close on this house on Dec 17th as our place up in north woods of Wi. Yes it’s stuck in the 70s in Wisconsin 🤷🏻🤷🏻, if all goes well I’m going to tear the panel off and who knows what’s underneath. When I get to the fireplace, it’s coming out and I want a small free-standing stove. I will I have to watch clearances and I want a Quality stove,I know Englander are good stoves for the price. There are so many stoves at the big boxes stores, some are just outright junk and I don’t want that. This will be our place to enjoy, not are full-time Residence so it w burn 24/7 but not all winter Thanks
86B40921-EB18-4219-BF1F-A7A8A3F1E57D.jpeg

Good luck with the closing.

Is that a ZC fireplace with a metal chimney? There are many new stoves on the market, but few available right now. Next summer should be a better time to select a stove. How many sq ft in the stove area? How many on this floor?

Thank you. Yes a prefab with the triple wall. I can’t wait to tear that crap out!, just about 1000sq ft now but one day we will turn the one car garage into a bigger mater bedroom with a extra bathroom

Sounds like a 2 cu ft stove will work. In the value range there are models by Englander, Drolet &True North that will work.

Reactions: fespo
Hope it all goes well! I am sharing the excitement for you to get rid of that paneling and maybe the carpet, haha! I looked at a house with an interior like that when I was home shopping, except with orange carpet 🤢

Are you open to starting with a clean slate for location for the new stove? I recently ripped out a ZC prefab fireplace w/ air cooled chimney, which sounds about like your setup, and ended up putting the new stove in the same corner of the house because that was the best spot for it. However I used literally nothing from the original installation so I could've relocated the stove and chimney anywhere in the house for the same amount of work.

Hope it all goes well! I am sharing the excitement for you to get rid of that paneling and maybe the carpet, haha! I looked at a house with an interior like that when I was home shopping, except with orange carpet 🤢

Are you open to starting with a clean slate for location for the new stove? I recently ripped out a ZC prefab fireplace w/ air cooled chimney, which sounds about like your setup, and ended up putting the new stove in the same corner of the house because that was the best spot for it. However I used literally nothing from the original installation so I could've relocated the stove and chimney anywhere in the house for the same amount of work.
We like that area because it’s in the middle of the house and there is really not much room in that room plus I don’t have to put another hole in the roof. 😉

I vote keep the carpet and add a Jotul combi fire;) I’d embrace the retro and keep and colored carpet. Any colored porcelain? Original avocado appliances? Just kidding

What’s the basement like?

I vote keep the carpet and add a Jotul combi fire;) I’d embrace the retro and keep and colored carpet. Any colored porcelain? Original avocado appliances? Just kidding

What’s the basement like?
Unfinished but The previous owner glued Styrofoam to the walls other than that just a basement. The house was faded with forced air natural gas but also still has the electric radiant heat that works, I like that for the basement as when I have the fire going I don’t have to worry about the basement freezing up
We do have a nice electric yellow stove if you’re interested? Porch pick up lol

Reactions: clancey and EbS-P
We like that area because it’s in the middle of the house and there is really not much room in that room plus I don’t have to put another hole in the roof. 😉
Just to warn you, you may have to do some roof patching anyways if you put in a new 6" chimney. There's a good chance that the hole in the roof for the chimney flashing piece is way too big from your current air cooled triple wall, depending on the diameter. And there's also a good chance what you have at the ceiling might be too big and require some patching too. Just saying, based on my experience, you may have little to no extra work putting your new chimney anywhere else in the house. If that happens to already be the spot you guys like then perfect. That's what I ended up doing at my place - same spot.

I think if you are able to clear some of that out you won't be in front of the doorway too much? I guess that was my first thought... Personally not sure I'd want to have to walk around a stove first thing every time I came in the door but it's hard to tell from the picture. Is there a closet or something on the backside of the empty wall area between the door and the fireplace?

Just to warn you, you may have to do some roof patching anyways if you put in a new 6" chimney. There's a good chance that the hole in the roof for the chimney flashing piece is way too big from your current air cooled triple wall, depending on the diameter. And there's also a good chance what you have at the ceiling might be too big and require some patching too. Just saying, based on my experience, you may have little to no extra work putting your new chimney anywhere else in the house. If that happens to already be the spot you guys like then perfect. That's what I ended up doing at my place - same spot.

I think if you are able to clear some of that out you won't be in front of the doorway too much? I guess that was my first thought... Personally not sure I'd want to have to walk around a stove first thing every time I came in the door but it's hard to tell from the picture. Is there a closet or something on the backside of the empty wall area between the door and the fireplace?
Yes closet. My thought were to remove freestanding fireplace and chimney but leave the metal chase through the roof in tact and install the new chimney through that hole with the top plate cover, almost like you would do with a liner in a clay tile chimney. If that makes sense

10327651-4FF2-44D5-B38E-347EDA827BEB.jpeg

That may be possible. It will need a new top cover and a storm collar for the chimney pipe. You'll want an easy-breathing stove for that short chimney.

Yes closet. My thought were to remove freestanding fireplace and chimney but leave the metal chase through the roof in tact and install the new chimney through that hole with the top plate cover, almost like you would do with a liner in a clay tile chimney. If that makes sense
Ah, okay. I see now. I did not realize there was a structure like that that went on up through the roof.