remodeled Mama Bear and baffling baffle question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RLJ

Oct 20, 2015
Northeast Texas
Hi all.
Wanted to post the pictures of my Mama bear cut down to fit in my fireplace. We moved the vent pipe from back to top and covered the back hole, cut most of the legs off and ran angle iron from front to back to make it easier to slide into the fireplace.
The man at the welding shop gave me a piece of 5/16 that was 15" by 12". When I put it in over the little piece of metal that was under the old vent pipe and run it level I have around 2 1/2" space all the way across the stove at the point where the bottom top starts to angle up to the top.
My question is this enough area for a 6" vent pipe or should the baffle be angled upward somewhat. and should I notch the sides 3" by 2" like I have seen on this site in some of the baffle pictures? Or should I cut the piece down to 15" by 8 or 10?
Thanks for all your help.
Rick

Attachments

• DSCF0355.JPG
    DSCF0355.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 279
  • DSCF0357.JPG
    DSCF0357.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCF0358.JPG
    DSCF0358.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 248
Hi all.
Wanted to post the pictures of my Mama bear cut down to fit in my fireplace. We moved the vent pipe from back to top and covered the back hole, cut most of the legs off and ran angle iron from front to back to make it easier to slide into the fireplace.
The man at the welding shop gave me a piece of 5/16 that was 15" by 12". When I put it in over the little piece of metal that was under the old vent pipe and run it level I have around 2 1/2" space all the way across the stove at the point where the bottom top starts to angle up to the top.
My question is this enough area for a 6" vent pipe or should the baffle be angled upward somewhat. and should I notch the sides 3" by 2" like I have seen on this site in some of the baffle pictures? Or should I cut the piece down to 15" by 8 or 10?
Thanks for all your help.
Rick
Hello Rick, I'm sure there will be other opinions on this, but if you figure area size a 6" flue is 26.26 and your space is 15X2.5= 37.5 if I calculate correctly. A picture of the baffle installed would help, the smaller the gap you leave the more likely you will have smoke roll out when you refuel or open the door while burning. IMO I would try it and see how it acts, you can always shorten the baffle to fine tune it.

Dave
Thanks for the reply. I should have it installed next week to give it a go and see. I think I may need to cut it back a bit or cut the 3 by 2 notches in the front corners. Everyone's opinions and guidance are always welcome.
Thanks again.
Rick

Depends on chimney. Insulated flue straight up, being the same size flue as stove outlet works fine with the minimum smoke space of 26.26 square inches.
Angled towards the bend gives less flame impingement. (flame tips hitting flat plate on 90* angle giving up too much heat) Angling it also prevents smoke from rolling towards door.
The corner cuts prevent stagnet air pockets in the corners. They are more critical in wider double door stoves. You don't get much dead air in the corners of your narrow stove.

This one is 15 X 8 in a Mama;

Brown Mama Bear Baffle 1.JPG

To prevent side bricks from falling inwards, I later welded this angle iron onto the same baffle plate.

MB Baffle 3.JPG MB Baffle 4.JPG

Depends on chimney. Insulated flue straight up, being the same size flue as stove outlet works fine with the minimum smoke space of 26.26 square inches.
Angled towards the bend gives less flame impingement. (flame tips hitting flat plate on 90* angle giving up too much heat) Angling it also prevents smoke from rolling towards door.
The corner cuts prevent stagnet air pockets in the corners. They are more critical in wider double door stoves. You don't get much dead air in the corners of your narrow stove.

This one is 15 X 8 in a Mama;

View attachment 166330

To prevent side bricks from falling inwards, I later welded this angle iron onto the same baffle plate.

View attachment 166331 View attachment 166332
Thanks for the reply. I have a 20' insulated 6" stainless flex pipe inside of masonry flue.
I can cut my piece down to 8"-10". Does the angle of the baffle need to be about half way up the angle from the lower top to the upper top?
Does it make a lot of difference since the vent pipe is out of the top now?
Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks
Rick

I aimed it towards the lower bend. What makes a difference in plate size is if you have the upper set of bricks. It has to go where it has to go then.
If you're undecided on 8 or 10 inch, make a cardboard template and set it on bricks at the sides. That shows you how much smoke you space you have as you change angle. Top or rear doesn't change the baffle.

I aimed it towards the lower bend. What makes a difference in plate size is if you have the upper set of bricks. It has to go where it has to go then.
If you're undecided on 8 or 10 inch, make a cardboard template and set it on bricks at the sides. That shows you how much smoke you space you have as you change angle. Top or rear doesn't change the baffle.
Thank you for the reply. My stove does not have the top set of firebrick. I will try the cardboard template and go from there.
Thanks for all the help
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.