Remodeling inserting vent free fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bluefan89

Apr 23, 2019
Tennessee
Hello

A newbie here but have read several posts.

We are converting a attached garage into a living space and hope to put in a vent free gas log insert. The depth is where we are limited roughly 23 inches. This is due to a pull down stairs that will only allow that amount of clearance.

Will we be able to fit something in this space?

Thanks
Keith

Attachments

• E7C2E928-C133-4081-831B-32E9E5D6127E.jpeg
    E7C2E928-C133-4081-831B-32E9E5D6127E.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 131
  • AF862467-8433-4D49-87A2-30348596A388.jpeg
    AF862467-8433-4D49-87A2-30348596A388.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 110
  • CDCAA615-6E13-429B-8B18-BE78F615B7AE.jpeg
    CDCAA615-6E13-429B-8B18-BE78F615B7AE.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 132
Hello

A newbie here but have read several posts.

We are converting a attached garage into a living space and hope to put in a vent free gas log insert. The depth is where we are limited roughly 23 inches. This is due to a pull down stairs that will only allow that amount of clearance.

Will we be able to fit something in this space?

Thanks
Keith
I suspect you will not find much love for vent free products on this forum. Especially with that carpeting. What do you plan on using the room for? And have you considered a direct vent zero clearance fireplace or a direct vent stove?

Thanks for the reply and sorry about vent free I am not opposed to using regular LP gas logs. The floor will be tile, just not got that far yet.
Room will be a family room type, with tv above mantle.

Thanks

In the NE corner of Pa where I live, things get very dry in the winter, and some extra moisture from a supplemental non-vented heat source can be welcomed. That said,,,, is your house dry in the winter? If not, you will get excess moisture.

Also, many of these units are best at taking a chill off in a place in weather that isn't super cold,,,, like 40's or 50's.... Those temps are high in moisture often too.

Not to knock the non vented version, as I have plenty in use for family and friends, at my cabin, etc,,,, but they only do a good job in certain weather, especially if the place is NOT really tight and newer construction.

For example, one heats my small cabin. However, it is a resurrected school house, single pain glass, 100 year old glazed windows, etc. Also seen people put non vented units in garages, just to take the chill off, and have the moisture creep up so much, and perhaps even other gasses, as to shut the units down in 2 days of not opening the 1000sqft garage, that leaks a lot.

Again, non vented units have their place and are great, just do the research and make sure it fits your application. Hate to see money wasted.

Good luck.

pen

Thanks, we have not had much winter here in Tennessee for last several winters. We have been damp set a all time record for rain in feb.

The fireplace will just be mainly for visual since will have room heated and cooled with hvac system.

Good evening
Keith