Remote control damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tdm90

Feb 23, 2016
Philadelphia Pa
Has anyone ever rigged up something to push in or out their damper control on their stove? Like using a linear actuator or something connected to a remote so I don’t have to get off the couch. I’d like to do it but just seeing if anyone has done it to get ideas.

There have been a couple of members that have done that, several years ago. Here is one where the blower was automated as well as the air control.

Was anyone able to find a product (commercial or residential) to do something like this? All the dampers I can find online are roof-top and chain-down-the-chimney type. My concern with a new home build (in the planning stages) is that I want to have a sealed building envelope, and if the wood stove I buy doesn't seal enough, how do I seal off the flue which would potentially be a 6-8" pipe, and have a heat-rated, sealed damper I can close myself?

Was anyone able to find a product (commercial or residential) to do something like this? All the dampers I can find online are roof-top and chain-down-the-chimney type. My concern with a new home build (in the planning stages) is that I want to have a sealed building envelope, and if the wood stove I buy doesn't seal enough, how do I seal off the flue which would potentially be a 6-8" pipe, and have a heat-rated, sealed damper I can close myself?
A woodstove will not be completely sealed. There is not any damper to my knowledge that completely seals off the flue

I had thought as much, which is why I'm seeking more info on the remote damper idea...
If you get a good quality stove with a good outside air kit the ammout of air leakage will be very very small.