Removable chimney pipe sealer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

enchant

Nov 5, 2016
Marshfield, MA
Last fall, I had an extension put onto my wood stove outside chimney. It's 6" pipe. Yesterday I went out on the roof to clean the chimney. It was far easier to remove the extension with the cap on it rather than set up a ladder on the edge of my roof to get to the top. Removing it wasn't a huge chore, but the guy who installed it went fairly heavy on the silicone to seal the seam. Now that I've got it cleaned and reassembled, I could do the same thing and goop the bejeezus out of it, but I was wondering if there isn't a removable option available to me. Problem is, I have no idea what it would be called, so I don't know what to search for.

What I picture that might work would be some sort of rubbery thing to wrap around the pipe at the seal and then a long hose clamp to tighten it into place. But perhaps there is a better solution out there? Maybe some sort of removable weatherproof tape?

chimneyseal.jpg

I have a high quality aluminum tape around my chimney's storm collar. I doubt it would be easy to remove now, but I suppose a knife and razor blade would work.

I doubt you'd need that area sealed anyway. I'd be more worried about the sheet metal into brick area.

> I'd be more worried about the sheet metal into brick area.

Are you talking about the area under the flat square section? It's difficult to see in the photo, but that whole thing is sealed heavily with silicone underneath.

The area I'm thinking of sealing is already a tight fit, and I'd like to think that it doesn't need anything further, but this isn't in my expertise, and I don't want to make any bad mistakes.

I agree with the aluminum tape. It won't peel off but hit it with the knife cuts like butter. And I agree I wouldn't be too concerned with sealing it

Put a proper storm collar above the top joint, seal the storm collar, and no need for sealant on joint underneath. The installer should have used a larger base plate and bent the ends down to go over the sides of the brick.

Last edited:
Reactions: brenndatomu
You could also use F4 self fusing silicone tape. It only sticks to itself but provides a very tight seal against metal when you wrap it around the pipe. Very easy to remove, very cool stuff if you have never used it.

I would just put a proper class a extension up there and there would be no need for any sealer.