Removable hearth extension?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JoeyBurn

Jan 31, 2019
Northwest Ohio
Can I add a temporary hearth extension to my stove for only the winter months when the stove is in use and pack it away the rest of the year? I'm trying to reduce the footprint in my narrow (12'x22') living room. According to the manual the minimum hearth length from the wall is 44". I want to build my hearth 36" from the wall and butt up a 12" extension when the stove is in use. This stove only requires ember protection and will be going on top of a hardwood floor. Will this be up to code?

Yes, as long as the hearth extension meets the stove requirements and is secured. It could be held in place with a couple screws. Or you could put a sheet of 24ga metal down permanently. This could be copper of stainless if that enhances the look.

Use brads to secure the corners. You'll want to prevent the edges from lifting up, especially if this is a traffic area. I'd radius the front edges too to eliminate sharp corners.

Reactions: JoeyBurn