Removal of Gas Stove and Brick underneath

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

checkpointcharlie

Apr 11, 2014
Pleasant Hill, CA
My wife and I just bought a house. We're not moved in yet, but we're thrilled with the possibilities.

The home has two fireplaces - one of which is a gas stove that takes up a ton of space in the family room. We would like to remove this stove. Any thoughts on the difficulty of removing the stove, as well as the brick/stone underneath it? Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated.

I'm primarily interested in how to go about removing the brick underneath the stove, as well as the ramifications of removing the chimney portion that is visible in the room and then just patching the ceiling.

I know there are a lot of experts in here, so I'm hopeful someone how there will have some constructive feedback.

Thanks!

6z12JFR.jpg

Just to be clear, you're not planning to replace it with anything? Just remove and cover up evidence it was ever there?

Seems like an ok DIY, but likely a bit of a pain. What is the flooring? Looks like some sort of low pile carpet? Are you going to patch something in? Seems like you would just recarpet/refloor the whole area? The stack probably disassembles quickly, and I would leave the chimney cap on the house alone (rather than having to patch the roof. I would prob stuff a circle of foamboard into to reduce windblown rain/snow coming in. And patching the ceiling is straighforward spackling....google 'flying dutchman'. And then you have to match the ceiling paint.

Sound sensible?

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.