remove modern fire place - install quadrafire 4300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

windysteve

Oct 22, 2009
central kansas
I have opportunity to purchase a used Quadrafire 4300 for $400. It's in great shape. So I'm contemplating removing my fireplace and installing a wood stove in my finished basement at my house built around 1995.

I've looked behind my fireplace and into the chimney wood framed chase. The foundation is 38" tall (view out basement) and has an alcove in the foundation for the back of the fireplace which is 40" deep x 50" wide.

I would like to remove the fireplace then the stove can sit in the alcove and not stick out much into the room. The stove is 26" wide leaving 12" on each side.

The instl manual is at this link. Clearances are on page 11. http://www.quadrafire.com/downloads/installManuals/man_4300_acc.pdf

The instl manual only shows clearances to combustibles. It appears that I won't have enough room (the D dimension from wall to stove side is 14.5 inches). I've only got 12 inches on each side minus any framing/brick/insulation. Am I missing something? Can anything override this clearance when the instl manual doesn't mention any other way?

Ops, I almost missed this note at the top of that page: "NOTE: Clearances may only be reduced by means approved by the regulatory authority having jurisdiction". So who's that? I may have to have a "pro" install it so I can benefit from their knowledge of reduced clearances.

Thoughts/comments? Thanks.

windysteve said:
I have opportunity to purchase a used Quadrafire 4300 for $400. It's in great shape. So I'm contemplating removing my fireplace and installing a wood stove in my finished basement at my house built around 1995.

I've looked behind my fireplace and into the chimney wood framed chase. The foundation is 38" tall (view out basement) and has an alcove in the foundation for the back of the fireplace which is 40" deep x 50" wide.

I would like to remove the fireplace then the stove can sit in the alcove and not stick out much into the room. The stove is 26" wide leaving 12" on each side.

The instl manual is at this link. Clearances are on page 11. http://www.quadrafire.com/downloads/installManuals/man_4300_acc.pdf

The instl manual only shows clearances to combustibles. It appears that I won't have enough room (the D dimension from wall to stove side is 14.5 inches). I've only got 12 inches on each side minus any framing/brick/insulation. Am I missing something? Can anything override this clearance when the instl manual doesn't mention any other way?

Ops, I almost missed this note at the top of that page: "NOTE: Clearances may only be reduced by means approved by the regulatory authority having jurisdiction". So who's that? I may have to have a "pro" install it so I can benefit from their knowledge of reduced clearances.

Thoughts/comments? Thanks.
I'd take pictures, diagrams, and the owners manual down to your building inspector and let him tell you what can be done... he's the one that will be signing off on it. ;)

Don't forget you will likely have to address the chimney as well.

Yea, the existing chimney is 8" and the stove requires 6" class A, which I think is double wall stainless inside the chase.

Check to see exactly what you have in there now, that 8" might only be rated to 1700°. If so, you can possibly use an insulated 6" SS liner inside the existing flue.

I stopped by Warming Trends in Wichita KS and the gal there was very helpful explaining what I needed. The dims to combustibles would work with my alcove, and if I frame in closer than that, I have to use non combustibles like metal studs and concrete tile backer board. Looks like it will work.

The chimney pipe is going to be about $1k. ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.