Minimum Alcove Width Canada.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tickles

Apr 22, 2022
Yukon
Hello,

I am installing a BK Chinook 30 into an alcove which I built after removing the gas insert. I wanted to leave myself plenty of wiggle room as far as clearances so its 51" wide. The manual states 6" side clearance for an alcove installation, the stove is 29" so thats 41" total alcove width minimum required. However it also states that there is a 48" minimum width for alcoves. Now I'm going to tile the alcove and floor extension. It would make my life soooo much easier to tile this if I could reduce the width to just under 48". I could do this by adding some cement board on each side. Is the 48" minimum alcove width referring to combustibles?

Thanks!

unnamed (1).jpg

48" is the minimum width for the alcove, not the maximum. There is no harm in it being a bit wider as long as it meets or exceeds the stove requirements set forth in the manual. If the tile thickness is 1/2" and the current width is 51" then the finished width would be 50" which would exceed the minimum requirement of 48".

However, I just looked at the Chinook 30.1 manual. Unless they changed spec, this stove requires 9.5" from the sides, not 6" for an alcove install. 6" is the rear clearance. The stove is 29.25" wide, so you are still ok for clearances, but close. 29.5+9.5+9.5 = 48.5"

Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 5.44.50 PM.png

A= 9.5" side clearance, B= 6" rear clearance

Last edited:
Reactions: Tickles