Removing Legs & Setting Stove on Bricks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Aug 20, 2014
Eden, NY
Hi guys,

So I have a question for you regarding my free standing Lopi wood stove. It currently sits inside an existing fireplace (not my ideal situation but will do until I can afford a different setup). The previous owner of my house had the stove set in there without the legs. He made a base out of those concrete flat masonry blocks and set the stove on top of it (see attached pic). Last year I decided to rework the setup and put the legs back on. However, i'm learning the hard way that this is a now a huge pain due to a tight working space especially now that I need to clean out the stove, connector and liner - I'll basically have to take the legs off and lower the stove to clean the collar, etc. (see other pic).

Anyone have any recommendations on how to correct my setup? I'm leaning towards taking the leg off again and making a base out of the concrete blocks so the stove sits lower. I've looked for smaller legs but I cannot find anything for the Lopi 1250. I know this isn't recommended but since it is sitting in a masonry firebox I don't think it will hurt anything (no wood structure below the fireplace).

Anyone see an issue with this, other than it being an issue with the manufacture/insurance?

thanks!

Attachments

• 36595.jpg
    36595.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,746
  • 6tag_211215-000940.jpg
    6tag_211215-000940.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,377
Last edited:
The main risk appears to be with the proximity of the wood mantel face. The farther away it is from the stove the better. A mantel shield should be in place regardless.

The main risk appears to be with the proximity of the wood mantel face. The farther away it is from the stove the better. A mantel shield should be in place regardless.

Thanks for your reply! Do you see any issues with me removing the legs and setting the stove on cement bricks to give me more room? That would allow more clearance for the mantel as well.

thanks!

Thanks for your reply! Do you see any issues with me removing the legs and setting the stove on cement bricks to give me more room? That would allow more clearance for the mantel as well.

thanks!

Why not just use a metal saw to cut off the bottom 3/4's of the legs? That would provide more airflow access vs. concrete supports and eliminate the possibility of the stove coming off it's foundation. I think it would look better too.

Why not just use a metal saw to cut off the bottom 3/4's of the legs? That would provide more airflow access vs. concrete supports and eliminate the possibility of the stove coming off it's foundation. I think it would look better too.

I was considering that - I was just thinking that someday I might use the stove in a different area of the house and regret not having the full sized legs. I was trying to find shorter legs but no luck. Still a consideration though! Thanks!

I don't have a problem with it on the cement blocks as long as it's stable and there is no interference with the air intake or air control.

If there is a full liner liner to top, just pull the baffle and sweep the liner & stove in place. No need to pull it out.

Reactions: Fivehorizons88
I was considering that - I was just thinking that someday I might use the stove in a different area of the house and regret not having the full sized legs. I was trying to find shorter legs but no luck. Still a consideration though! Thanks!
Your setup looks just like mine, and I went to some effort to find a used VC Resolute to use. After struggling with the exact dilemma as you, I decided to just buy a modern insert so I wouldn't need to cut the legs. I hadn't even considered just removing the legs and putting it on bricks/blocks. I may have done just that if I'd thought of it.

Wouldn't the bricks be a good conductor of heat to the floor below,risking wood charing?

Wouldn't the bricks be a good conductor of heat to the floor below,risking wood charing?
Unless I am mistaken, the "floor below" is the fireplace hearth which is designed to have the direct heat of a hot coal bed on it.