Removing liner from wet poured vermiculite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

farmwithjunk

Sep 19, 2022
PA
I'm in the process of removing my 6x9 stainless liner from my masonry chimney. It does not have the clay liners anymore but the prior owner used wet poured vermiculite the last ~5-6 feet above the tee. I had been pulling the flex liner and it was unspiraling nicely until it hit the vermiculite about 8' down and now I'm left with a liner in vermiculite.

Any tricks to getting this out other than a bar/rope and determination? I've thought about making an A shaped piece of flat bar and sharpening the edges and winching it up from the bottom to the top hoping to slice the liner and pull it out in pieces.

IMG_20220926_210551527.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in the process of removing my 6x9 stainless liner from my masonry chimney. It does not have the clay liners anymore but the prior owner used wet poured vermiculite the last ~5-6 feet above the tee. I had been pulling the flex liner and it was unspiraling nicely until it hit the vermiculite about 8' down and now I'm left with a liner in vermiculite.

Any tricks to getting this out other than a bar/rope and determination? I've thought about making an A shaped piece of flat bar and sharpening the edges and winching it up from the bottom to the top hoping to slice the liner and pull it out in pieces.

View attachment 299514
I have pulled them by attaching a cable to the tee at the bottom and wincing. Also have had to run the liner breaker in a few to get them to loosten up

Last resort is a grinder clamped to stiff rods. It's a big pita but it works

Oof. I didnt think of that but I think I could build a hook to drop down/catch to tear out small sections at a time before I go that route.
The problem with that is if you deform it enough to block the passage you create a worse issue. You can always just open up the chimney as well

Used some small round stock and a washer to make a 14' auger bit so I could work it from the top. Chewed through the plaster like mixture until I could pull the liner up with a rope and 2*4.

Reactions: begreen