Removing That Glass like Creosote in Chimneys with Cre-Away

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard from Tom the chimney sweep who does post on this forum occasionally, that the super hard glass-like creosote build up on the inside of your chimney can be loosened by adding a product called Cre-Away. I believe it is added to the fire box days before the expected cleaning, and does a fairly good job at removing the baked on glaze. Tom, I do believe it was you that gave me this tip, but if I am mistaken please forgive me. Anyone ever use Cre-Away ? If so, please lets us know how it worked.
Thanks all, Joe

JP, I don't recall if you and I have corresponded about Cre-Away in the past, but here's what I know. Cre-Away is a dry powder catalyst which, in conjunction with heat from the fire, helps break down glaze creosote OVER TIME into a dry, crunchy, form that can be swept out.

How to use it: sqeeze a few big puffs of power over the top of a briskly burning fire. The updraft carries it aloft, where it coats the glaze and begins to work. This process must be repeated several times with hot, dry-wood fires, until the glaze finally breaks down. If the buildup is thick, it can be helpful to run a chimney brush in between fires, to sweep off the broken down surface glaze and expose a fresh surface for the next treatment.

There are also two liquid glaze breakdown chemicals that we've seen work: Anti CreoSote (ACS) and Third Stage Remover (TSR).

Status
Not open for further replies.