Renewables gain the lead in Scotland

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
That is awesome! There are lots of wind farms where I live. In fact, there's a windmill blade manufacturing plant in my town. Some blades are 145 feet long!

I am not a big fan of coal plants. However I do like NEW nuclear plants but I am often alone on that one (new technology is wayyyy different that technology from 30 years ago).

Andrew

Good fort the Scots. They may need all the energy they can get if climate changes do ultimately lead to significant impacts to the Gulf Stream.

What strikes me most about Scotland's achievement is the the "security" that usually comes with conversion to renewables.
Not only are they less dependent upon import of fuels but a more distributed generation network is harder to take down.
Sure, transmission lines can be attacked but that's a weakness shared by all electricity sources other than residential ones. The impact of taking down a few windmills is much less that taking out a nuclear or FF plant.

Funny, it just struck me, when the discussion about subsidies for FF versus renewables comes up you rarely hear about the large defense "investments" we've made for securing foreign fossil fuels and associated supply lines.

Funny, it just struck me, when the discussion about subsidies for FF versus renewables comes up you rarely hear about the large defense "investments" we've made for securing foreign fossil fuels and associated supply lines.

It actually comes up all the time. We don't need multiple nuclear carrier groups to defend our access to sun and wind.

Reactions: semipro
It actually comes up all the time. We don't need multiple nuclear carrier groups to defend our access to sun and wind.
Novel to me I guess. I need to read more. :)

Yeah the wind tends to never run out, unlike North Sea Oil.

You can buy farmed wood in Scotland. Specifically grown to be burnt. When you drive up the M62, you can see the perfectly straight rows of renewable forest growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.