Roundgunner Posted By Roundgunner, Nov 28, 2017 at 10:36 PM

1. Roundgunner

Roundgunner
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 26, 2013
    Loc:
    Rural CT
    I have a small leak in one of the flue tubes. The only thing I can think of is welding both ends shut and hope for a good seal.

2. TCaldwell

TCaldwell
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2007
    Loc:
    860-868-9014 h 203 948 0864 c nw corner ct.
    What make boiler, can you post a pic, what town is rural ct?

3. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    That sounds semi-major, ouch.

If you had more time & the capabilities, I wonder if the tube would come out if the end welds were ground off? Then put a new tube in & re-weld? But the tubes could also be tied or braced together inside too, maybe, which would kaibosh that idea. (Anybody seen the guts of an Empyre Elite 200? Assuming that's what you have by your sig). Which would leave your idea as the only thing I could think to try, and maybe get you through the winter. I would be quite worried about the rest of the tubes though and how much longer they would last. Actually would be worried about the whole boiler - and how much there is left to weld to.

4. Roundgunner

Roundgunner
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 26, 2013
    Loc:
    Rural CT
    This is a Profab warranted (+$2000 :-( ) replacement boiler with stainless Steel in more parts that failed in the past. The tubes were not one of those parts changed to SS. I'm not seeing rust anywhere, only 3 seasons old, doesn't seem to creosote up like the old one.
    I'm in Hanover, CT. Part of Sprague. Half way between Norwich and Willimantic.

Also getting scale under the fan from a small leak up high somewhere. Very little but I will pull out the insulation and find it in the summer.