Repair or replace refractory panel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

home heater

Nov 13, 2013
michigan
I have a wood burning fireplace in a manufactured home. I tried to repair the refractory panel that was falling apart and the patch did not hold. So I removed the panel and found the thing was cracked .So the question is purchase a generic panel and cut to size? 150.00.
Or I was thinking of making my own out of refractory cement, about 40.00. Has any one done this? Is it worth the trouble and I am concerned about the quality of a made it my self panel.

Last edited:
I just got someone to come and cutout a board for $250. I don't have the masonry tools but that would be the next best option to cut it yourself. Making cement seems like a hassle and I would be skeptical of what quality you would get.

The new board is over an inch thick and it feels like a lot more of the heat is radiated back in the room.

Last edited: