replace brick with soapstone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulie

Nov 27, 2007
SW Mich.
Can you replace the brick in a insert wth soapstone? I am wondering, just because I have a small insert, and I feel it would heat longer. any body know??

Not a good idea, unless your name is Corie

Head of Research and Development
England’s Stove Works
Monroe, VA 24574
Current Projects: Bay window pellet stove and small firebox wood/coal stove.

Several people have had that same thought. Problem is that your firebox is set up with a certain configuration to maximize combustion. Altering the configuration changes that efficiency, almost certainly for the worse.

THANK'S FOR THE IMPUT !!!

The soapstone would not "insulate" the firebox as well as the newer (lightweight) style firebrick do. My guess is you would have a hard time maintaining hot enough temps in the firebox to maintain the secondary burn off of gases. This is part of the efficiency that Jpl was referring to.

OK. Mine is ordinary firebrick.

Talk to me Corie. He can't of course because it would invalidate the certifications on the stove.

Someone must of tried this out there somewhere? I really don't see where it would hurt efficency that bad in a small fire box. Hearthstone stoves have it in their fireboxes and they are not any more or less efficient than other non cats. Another way to get some of the benefits of soapstone is to cut a slab to fit the top of your stove. I saw a picture of this somewhere. Oh, but that wont work on an insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.