Replace Dauntless damper gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

manofstihl

Dec 27, 2022
Midwest
We have a Dauntless that we installed in May 2022. We had the gasket around the damper frame simply fall out so that it was lying on the damper plate. I looked in the manual to see the replacement procedure. The manual states in step 2 for the procedure to use the tip of a screwdriver or wire brush to clean the gasket channel of any remaining cement. However, I don't see any way of physically doing this for the damper gasket unless I start disassembling the stove to get at the damper frame from the back. The instructions for the procedure are written generically and don't provide any guidance on how to disassemble. Has anyone replaced this gasket before?

I'm honestly at my wits' end with this finicky stove and the dealer from whom we bought it, but that's a topic for another time.

We have a Dauntless that we installed in May 2022. We had the gasket around the damper frame simply fall out so that it was lying on the damper plate. I looked in the manual to see the replacement procedure. The manual states in step 2 for the procedure to use the tip of a screwdriver or wire brush to clean the gasket channel of any remaining cement. However, I don't see any way of physically doing this for the damper gasket unless I start disassembling the stove to get at the damper frame from the back. The instructions for the procedure are written generically and don't provide any guidance on how to disassemble. Has anyone replaced this gasket before?

I'm honestly at my wits' end with this finicky stove and the dealer from whom we bought it, but that's a topic for another time.
You typically do it through the exhaust

Reactions: manofstihl
Someone just had a post about this a short while back. Seems there were a few people had the gasket just fall off. What's the warranty? Did you try the dealer? My stove is different but to do mine I remove the flue adapter plate on the back/top of the stove and remove the damper. I have removed the damper on mine through the griddle but it's a pain.

Here's the thread I was thinking of, it's an Intrepid my mistake but it might be similar.

Reactions: manofstihl
Here's the thread I was thinking of, it's an Intrepid my mistake but it might be similar.
Looks very similar. Thanks.