Replace Oil Stove with Quada-Fire Yosemite?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jules, I don't want to sell you anything (have not even a cat stove myself) but may I ask why you prefer a non-cat to a cat stove? I know there are some disadvantages to a cat stove but I am wondering what you are so concerned about.

Really it is just my lack of knowledge about cat stoves. I have in my mind that they are more difficult and require more maintenance?! Maybe I should read up a bit more on them. Our air quality gets a bit bad here when it gets cold. The smoke just kind of hangs around until we get some wind. Is that one of the benefits is that they burn cleaner?
Jules

We get the same temp inversions here. Locally they enforce burn bans when it gets serious. Most EPA stoves are clean burners. The smudge pot burners are smoldering their woood. It makes the air bad for everyone.

Read as much as you can and do some research. You are on this site and there is great information here. I have never owned a cat stove, but they really intrigue me. I have owned 4 non-cat stoves and I never even considered a cat stove when I bought my T6. I would have looked at them hard had I done more research. Don't get me wrong, PE is the best non-cat stove I have used. Now I understand the technology and the long burn times on the cats are appealing.

Really it is just my lack of knowledge about cat stoves. I have in my mind that they are more difficult and require more maintenance?! Maybe I should read up a bit more on them. Our air quality gets a bit bad here when it gets cold. The smoke just kind of hangs around until we get some wind. Is that one of the benefits is that they burn cleaner?
Jules

That's what I thought because I had similar reservations when I purchased my stove. After reading quite a few posts here how people operate their cat stove I think those doubts were unfounded. In fact, after fiddling with the air control on my non-cat stove for 20 min and more every time I load wood, I am thinking that a cat stove may even be easier. Certainly, the long burn times mean you will spend less time tending the stove than with a non-cat. Maybe ask some BlazeKing owners here about their experiences.
There are some drawbacks: The cat will need replacement about every 5 to 10 years but I think it is not that expensive. You cannot burn any treated or painted wood (although you should not do that in a non-cat stove either). You will not get a nice view of a roaring fire although even non-cat stoves will look disappointing in that regard. I don't think maintenance is a big part: Test the door gaskets regularly and brush off the catalyst from time to time with a brush.

Regarding clean burn: Any modern EPA-approved stove will get you very low emissions with dry, seasoned wood. You should get smoke for the first 10 to 15 minutes only, after that it will be mostly water vapor. Those "smoke plumes" people associate with wood stoves are from burning green wood in old smoke dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.