Replace or Repair Door Gasket (pics attached)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LIpelletpig

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jun 26, 2008
Long Island, NY
Need some help from the group. The stove is a Harman Accentra Insert 2008. I noticed the gasket was fraying at the end of the season only in the bottom left corner. So should I just apply some silicone and push the gasket back in or do I need to replace the entire door gasket. Other then the bottom left corner as pictured, the gasket is in good condition.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG00430.jpg
    IMG00430.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,201
  • IMG00431.jpg
    IMG00431.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,153
It looks (from what I can see in the pic), to be where the 2 ends of the gasket meet each other. IMO, put a little Hi-Temp silicone in there, push the loose ends into so it's neat and even height compared to the rest, and you should be good to go. Might want to try the dollar bill test in that spot after the silicone cures.

Other than that, the gasket looks great.

macman said:
It looks (from what I can see in the pic), to be where the 2 ends of the gasket meet each other. IMO, put a little Hi-Temp silicone in there, push the loose ends into so it's neat and even height compared to the rest, and you should be good to go. Might want to try the dollar bill test in that spot after the silicone cures.

Other than that, the gasket looks great.

I have an identical problem.. The stove is only about 2 months old and this gasket fraying has been there from almost day one. (noticed on day 3). Mine hasn't frayed quite as bad as the pics above and I'd like to try the hi-temp silicone fix since the rest of the gasket is mint. Any further details about the job?

I'm figuring I could put a drop of hi temp silicone in the middle of the area affected and stick the loose ends into it... however, are there any other considerations? Should I do it, close the door, and then leave it open while it cures? Any tips?

Its really not causing an issue, but i'm noticing the glass getting dirty faster on that side, and I'm seeing soot gathering on the front of the air wash ports and down the front of the ash pan, so I think I'm getting some air leaking in.

also, what is the dollar bill test?

I agree with Macman.

I went ahead and applied some silcone on the frayed ends and put them together. Not an easy task with the door attached to the stove. I would recommend that you remove the door and do the fix. I also wasn't happy with the results. I ended up replacing the entire gasket a few weeks later and making it right with a new gasket. I actually applied a gasket slightly thinker then what is recommended by the manufacturer. You can stretch it and bunch it if you have to. In no means am I suggesting you need to replace the gasket. I wanted it to be right. I did remove the door to replace the entire gasket and it was a lot easier to work with then being attached to the stove. If you decided to just silicone the two ends and stick them together I would not close the door until the ends are fully dry (cured). Reason being it could press the ends down and push some silcone out on the stove. Being that your stove is only a few months old I would suggest maybe calling the dealer and seeing what they'll do for you. I know it wears quickly with this type of issue where the two ends meet, since were often open/closing the door for pot cleanings and vacuumings. My glass stays pretty clean for a few days before I even see a slight build-up because of the fix and usually by then I'm doing every few day maintenence clean anyway which includes a wipe down of the glass.

Bobforsaken said:
.....Any further details about the job?

I'm figuring I could put a drop of hi temp silicone in the middle of the area affected and stick the loose ends into it... however, are there any other considerations? Should I do it, close the door, and then leave it open while it cures? Any tips?

also, what is the dollar bill test?

I'd put a little silicone in the area to be fixed, press the strands of gasket into it so it stays put, making sure it's about the same height as the rest of the gasket, and let it cure 3-4 hours, at least.

The "dollar bill" test doesn't have to be done w/ an actual dollar bill, but some plain white paper will do, cut to about the same size. Open the door, hold the paper in between the door gasket and stove with your fingers, and close & latch the door......you shouldn't be able to pull the paper out easily, or maybe not at all. If it slides out pretty easily, the door isn't tight enough and needs adjustment.

Check the door/gasket seal this way all around the door in about 5-6 places.

I'll give it a shot most likely this weekend if the weather is warm enough... I want to be able to let it cure for long enough to feel comfortable shutting the door.

Its really only a nuisance right now because my glass is getting dirty too quickly and it may be losing efficiency.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.