Replaced distribution motor last night on our Harman Accentra Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Old Smokey

Oct 3, 2011
Northern Colorado
Even though we keep our Accentra Insert kept pretty clean, our distribution motor called it quits. It's our main heat source for the house and really has gotten a workout for the past 7 years, not to mention 3 cats and 2 dogs worth of fur/fuzz sneaking in.

I bit the bullet and paid the $300 plus tax for the OEM distribution motor even though I saw some people get a nearly identical one for a lot less and you just have to cap some wires. But I figured since this is the first time I'm replacing this part I'll go for the real deal. Maybe next time, or for a backup, I'll get the less expensive one.

The replacement went pretty well, especially with my wife lending a hand. We pulled the insert out onto the 2 x 4 support I made a few years back. No big deal, do this once a month or so anyways to give it the good cleaning. It was a little tricky just because your lying on your back working on the bottom of the insert, but it's not that bad, and way better than dropping the entire insert to the floor, tipping it over, then lifting it back up. The one thing I was kind of surprised about was that the entire blower unit cannot be dropped since it's all welded in. So you just have to remove the three bolts that hold the motor, then disconnect the wires, and it drops right out. So, I paid over 300 bucks for the entire motor and blower housing when all I really needed was the motor. Don't know what to do with the brand new blower housing now, maybe get creative and make a snail out of it? So after taking the new motor out of the new housing we popped it in. Oh yeah that's the other thing, the new motor doesn't have any wire connectors so you can't just plug it back in to the wires coming from the insert, you have to figure out how you want to connect them. We just cut the plugs off the existing wires, stripped them, then used screw wire connectors to attach them to the new motor. We also re-used the old sleave that covered the wires, figured why not, and used a couple zip ties to make it all nice and tidy.

Overall it was pretty easy, especially if you have all your tools and stuff handy and someone else to help. The Accentra Insert stove runs like it's brand new again especially since we replaced the combustion blower just two years ago. Knock on wood still haven't had to mess with the auger, or replace the igniter or deal with the computer board. Definitely a great stove, we love it.

Thanks for reading, have a good one!

Reactions: Lake Girl and bags
I don't understand at all why you bought the whole housing but I'm glad you're up and running. Anything blows on my stove right now I'm shutting off and heating with oil, gonna do that next month anyway as planned. But also oil just went under $2 a gallon here too. So it's oil for the shoulder season here, like last year. I'll deal with next season ( year 5 on the P61) when it gets here LOL.

Reactions: bags
upload_2017-3-22_13-16-42.png

That's the official part number in the Harman Service Parts manual. I went to the dealer we purchased the stove from and asked for that. I tried to do some good research but don't recall hearing anything about it. Maybe I should have done more. I tried to search youtube vids too but they didn't have any for the Accentra Insert, just the free-standing stoves. LOL it kind of cracks me up that they don't just have the two individual pieces in the manual. I had the same problem with a John Deere snowblower. The wire that goes to the motor that rotates the chute broke. When I went to the dealer all they could sell me was the entire motor, housing, and wire for over a hundred bucks. I decided NOT to get that and just fixed the wire myself. Oh well, like you said, it works great now and we're happy. And, maybe this will be a lesson for anyone else tackling this project. For my future reference, if anyone knows how/where just to get the motor for the Harman Accentra Insert without the housing please let me know!

Many of the distribution blowers on Harmans are Dayton blowers. Grainger is your friend. Google Grainger. You can even cross reference motor numbers and find replacements if not the same exact OEM blower motor. Many here have saved boat loads buying replacements there. I even have a local Grainger I can walk into with stuff and they'll figure out what you need.

I just looked up the blower for my P68 and it is $71 bucks. Looks like that includes the housing.
That same Dayton blower at Stove Parts is around $180 bucks. Harman "OEM" AKA: the SAME Dayton blower = Too much $$$$.

Just for reference Google: (distribution blower for Harman pellet stove) and look at what pops up.

Glad you are running and warm. Sometimes it can be worth throwing a few extra bucks but the "OEM" Harman dist. blower should come with a free ton of pellets......

Some stoves might have Fasco blowers. I know both my P68 and PC45 run Daytons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lake Girl
Many of the distribution blowers on Harmans are Dayton blowers. Grainger is your friend. Google Grainger. You can even cross reference motor numbers and find replacements if not the same exact OEM blower motor. Many here have saved boat loads buying replacements there. I even have a local Grainger I can walk into with stuff and they'll figure out what you need.

I just looked up the blower for my P68 and it is $71 bucks. Looks like that includes the housing.
That same Dayton blower at Stove Parts is around $180 bucks. Harman "OEM" AKA: the SAME Dayton blower = Too much $$$$.

Just for reference Google: (distribution blower for Harman pellet stove) and look at what pops up.

Glad you are running and warm. Sometimes it can be worth throwing a few extra bucks but the "OEM" Harman dist. blower should come with a free ton of pellets......

Some stoves might have Fasco blowers. I know both my P68 and PC45 run Daytons.

No wonder they're noisy, I've never heard any motor from Dayton that wasn't.

Thanks for the information. The original motor was a Facso Model Number 70732019. I've looked everywhere, even Grainger, and I can't find it, or a cross-reference. I'm happy that the new blower is working great, but would love to know if someone else knows where to get just the motor for future reference. Is there a conspiracy out there or something?:)

I'd question if that is the number of the motor by itself, Fasco motor numbers tend to have less digits with a letter prefix, might even have a dash in the number. Also there is bound to be a cross reference somewhere to other brands of the same motor or interchange by specification..

Last edited:
This is the original motor. I tried hard to find a replacement. Let me know if you can. Thanks again for all the good help on this website.

upload_2017-3-25_19-2-58.jpeg
upload_2017-3-25_19-2-58.jpeg

I replaced the distribution blower on my Accentra insert with a Grainger. The blower works fine, but I find it is a little louder than the original Fasco motor.

My reason for going with Grainger was purely cost. For the Fasco motor (here in Canada), I was quoted well over $300. The Grainger was under $150, even with the housing that came with the motor.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Reactions: alternativeheat