Replaced exhaust motor and exhaust gasket. Weird smell..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BKSinAZ

Jan 26, 2015
PineTop Arizona.
Is it normal to have a weird smell after replacing exhaust motor and exhaust pipe gasket? The smell I detect is not wood nor is it burning wood. Smells almost like plastic but not quite like plastic. I'm wondering if this is a temporary smell that will go away once the exhaust pipe gasket and motor goes to a couple of Cycles

Last edited:
It's that new electronics smell, I changed mine out in late September and had a similar odor and a totally different snap noise when my stove kicks on. It shouldn't' be a cause for concern unless it starts squealing real loud like it's going to seize up.The snap noise is still there but the strange odor has vanished. You didn't use a sealer on the gasket when re assembling did you? These assemblies do not require sealants.