Replacement gasket question (Dutchwest 2462) ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwg

Jan 27, 2022
TX
Hi all, I am replacing a top gasket in a Dutchwest 2462 extra large convection heater (wood burning stove). This is a re-do as I just did it and evidently used too much glue and a good part of the gasket is like rock. It fits and provides a seal but not as good as I’d like over the catalyst chamber.

I can can get this next day from Amazon:
  • Midwest Hearth Wood Stove Replacement Gasket Kit for Woodburning Stoves - Graphite Impregnated Fiberglass Gaskets and Adhesive (3/8" x 84" Rope). by MN Warehouse Deals
  • Amazon product ASIN B01D0ORRSU
Versus waiting on a multi day turn around from a stove parts supplier with added shipping cost which will essentially double the price. In this case stove parts unlimited:

Are these 3/8” fiberglass gaskets essentially the same for this type of application?
  • I do see the Amazon product touts the added graphite and the stove parts product is called low density. Not sure how to compare these 2 features.

My preference is to stick with OEM gaskets where possible and most have switched to RTV for the adhesive. Red or black RTV can be picked up at the local hardware store. It's easier to work with and won't soak into the gasket like the liquid adhesive you used.