Replacement of stove/stovepipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AK2NM

Feb 12, 2023
New Mexico
Hello All-

I just purchased a poorly insulated 2000 sqft home here in New Mexico. It came with a woodstove, however it is past the end of its life (Firebox is cracked). I am considering doing a new self install and would appreciate some feedback. My current thought is to install a Drolet 3000 and line the current 8" single wall stovepipe with a 6" flexible stainless liner. Does this make sense?

A couple other things:
  • We're at 5800'
  • Stove would be supplementary heat
  • I'm pretty mechanically inclined
  • Current stovepipe is ~10' from top of stove to discharge above roof
Stove as it is now:
1676220080474.png

Last edited:
I would replace the pipe and it line it. I am not sure code supports lining that type of pipe.

Just run 6" stovepipe to a 6" x 8" increaser at the ceiling support box. It probably will be necessary to add another length of chimney pipe for the Drolet for it to draft properly. 10' is too short for modern stoves at sea level. Fortunately, the Drolet breathes pretty easily. At a mile up I would add 4' to the chimney.

Do you know what brand chimney has been installed? Make sure the chimney pipe can be identified and matched. Brands can not be mixed. If this is a 25+ yr old chimney installation, it too may need replacement.

Thanks for the advice here. The stove was manufactured in 1982, so I'm assuming that the stove pipe was installed then too. Sounds like I should just replace the whole thing, stovepipe and all. I appreciate the advice.

Yes, if it's 1982 chimney pipe, the odds of finding another length are slim.