Replacement wood stove advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pinefall

Mar 27, 2022
east Tennessee
Previously, I had asked for advice on replacing a late 1980s Federal Airtight (Dutchwest India LTD) model FA264CCL with a new replacement wood stove. My criteria were a stove with similar heat output, a somewhat modern design (i.e., clean lines, not ornate), and eligible for the current US tax credit. This is going into a large great room of a 2500 sq ft house in East Tennessee with a heat pump as the primary heat source.

My first choice was a Jøtul F 500 V3 Oslo. However we have been having trouble finding a dealer who can provide this locally.

The dealer who has been most helpful has suggested the following three options which they can offer:

None of these three were on my short list (although we did have an earlier version of the Vermont Castings from 1980 in another house). I still like the Jøtul but this dealer seems to be the best option for actually getting something installed and is willing to work with us to find an appropriate wood stove.

So, any advice from the community on the selection?

The Regency should be the F3500 if equivalent to the Quad 5700.

You need dry wood. Any hard wood split this year won’t be dry enough. See if you can get some pine. Split it small stack it in a sunny spot and cover it to keep the rain off.

I’m assuming you are choosing tax credit eligible stoves. 2-3 cu ft is a good size.

I’d choose the Regency from your list. Check out Osborn and Drolet stoves. Pacific Energy makes great stoves but as of right now they are not tax credit eligible.

The Regency should be the F3500 if equivalent to the Quad 5700.

I'll have to check if they picked that one based on size or on availability.

Unfortunately, our choices are limited by availability: no current dealers within 40 miles, and most of the dealers in the 40-80 mile range are not showing interest in making a sale. It may be a matter of choosing one of these three, or waiting a few months and trying again (which is what we did a few months ago :().

I have no experience with Regency or Quad Fire, and my experience with Vermont Casting was a stove made in 1980 (pre-catalyst). With our Federal Airtight showing its age, and the tax credit ending this year, we would like to buy a new one. But I would want it to be an upgrade to what we have now, or at least no worse.