Replacing doors in a Heatilator 3138?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Iggy

Aug 24, 2017
Wa
Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but we bought a 30 year old house that has a Heatilator 3138 fireplace that works fine, but the doors won't stay in the track anymore, the mounting pins are plumb worn out. I was able to get the fireplace installation manual from Heatilator (Thanks to Vanessa at Heatilator for digging hard to find one), apparently the front door assembly (PN 2138)is separate from the 3138 unit itself and we'd like to just replace that part with something new. We've been unable to find an installation manual for the door assembly to figure out how to remove it, our local stove contractors are telling us it's a complete demo/remodel ($7-10,000+) which does not make sense. I've been working with an on-line replacement door vendor but they're not sure, either.

Any ideas?
TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Post a pic so we can see what you have...
IIRC, the door pins snap into spring clips in the upper tracks.
By compressing the springs, & with the bi-fold doors nearly
all the way open, they should come right out - TOP first.

On the road for work, will post when I get home next week. Many thanks for the help!

On the road for work, will post when I get home next week. Many thanks for the help!
Iggy,

I have the same situation and wondered what you ended up doing. I'd really like new doors, but can't see doing a total tear out. Were you able to figure it out?

Leonard

Iggy,

I have the same situation and wondered what you ended up doing. I'd really like new doors, but can't see doing a total tear out. Were you able to figure it out?

Leonard
Post a pic and we can probably help.

They do not meet code. They are an unapproved accessory on a ul listed appliance that is absolutely not allowed.

Really? We sold them for years, & I don't believe the owner would have
gotten into them without thoroughly researching the product.
Then again, last time I worked there was 2011. Has something changed?

Really? We sold them for years, & I don't believe the owner would have
gotten into them without thoroughly researching the product.
Then again, last time I worked there was 2011. Has something changed?
Nope nothing has changed. UL listed products can only use components and accessories approved and tested for that unit. So unless stoll paid to have every fireplace they make doors for retested and listed with their doors it doesn't meet code requirements.

Nope nothing has changed. UL listed products can only use components and accessories approved and tested for that unit. So unless stoll paid to have every fireplace they make doors for retested and listed with their doors it doesn't meet code requirements.

Learn something new. BTW, I just checked & the company I worked for still sells them...

E5B1F520-0F80-4A6D-AF66-CC25AE7D6390.jpeg
Post a pic and we can probably help.
Picture attached. Heatilator door 2138. Ignore paint samples on framing. Wife trying colors. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks. Leonard

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 236727
Picture attached. Heatilator door 2138. Ignore paint samples on framing. Wife trying colors. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks. Leonard
I believe there is a spring tab holding the top outside pin in place. Open the doors reach in there and push it up and they should be able to lay over to the side and come out.

Stoll makes a quality product. The doors for ZC fireplaces are very well designed and do not block cooling air.
I knew bhollar would be on here blowing his fireplace police whistle! ;lol

Stoll makes a quality product. The doors for ZC fireplaces are very well designed and do not block cooling air.
I knew bhollar would be on here blowing his fireplace police whistle! ;lol
Yes they are well made. But are they accessories which are approved by the fireplace manufacturer? If not you cannot install them and be code compliant. There is no way around that. I am not saying anything about the safety of them because I can't they haven't been tested so we don't know. I am simply saying that installing them violates code.

Hi! Did you ever find the doors to replace yours? I have a mark123 - 3138EP. My house was built in 1979

I have house was built in 1970. Previous owner was installed 3138 in living room. I did not like the view and covered entire fireplace area with travertine. so, frame was not fit after travertine job. I was planning to buy new frame for fire place but I found another solution.

I bought L brackets and steel screws in homedepot. installed the frame with brackets. there was a gap between frame and wall because of the texture of travertine. I bought rope ( i dont remember the exact name. it is for high temp rope like manufacturers use it in oven) and installed in the gap. I have been using like that since 2016 and there is no smoke comes out or no any issue. per my solution, I believe you can install any kind of frame with door.

@leonard07 I have 3138 and was same color with yours. I painted it with spray paint (brownish black, high temp spray). I dont remember how many layers I did but It worked great.

I have house was built in 1970. Previous owner was installed 3138 in living room. I did not like the view and covered entire fireplace area with travertine. so, frame was not fit after travertine job. I was planning to buy new frame for fire place but I found another solution.

I bought L brackets and steel screws in homedepot. installed the frame with brackets. there was a gap between frame and wall because of the texture of travertine. I bought rope ( i dont remember the exact name. it is for high temp rope like manufacturers use it in oven) and installed in the gap. I have been using like that since 2016 and there is no smoke comes out or no any issue. per my solution, I believe you can install any kind of frame with door.

@leonard07 I have 3138 and was same color with yours. I painted it with spray paint (brownish black, high temp spray). I dont remember how many layers I did but It worked great.
Smoke escaping is about the least important of the possible issues involved with modifying zero clearance units like this