Replacing fireplace stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

2broke2ride

Burning Hunk
Dec 23, 2014
Townsend MA
Hi guys, been about a year since I was here last. The time has come that we need to replace the Efel harmony in the fireplace. We are still notdecided if we want to go with an insert or another hearth stove, but we are leani g toward a hearth sstove. We are on a tight budget, about $1000 give or tzke, so that is a limiting factor. We are also limited because a stove would need to be rear exit with the top of the pipe no more than 26 inches which is the height of the lintel. I am having trouble finding budget stoves that meet my height requirement and ive found most dont even give that information. Im not against used buti needsome ideas of what to look for.
Also, capacity isnt really a big concern as it onlyheats the living room and one adjacent bedroom and evdn then, only in really cold weather.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Pic of setup
c8ef5c31fe146feb6cecdae83db0a2c3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep an eye out for a used Jotul F3CB.

PS: Is there a hearth extension protecting the floor?

The budget stoves are mostly top-vent only. But that's not much lintel height either, so you may be in insert territory. On stove makers' websites, they should have a "specs" section or diagrams with the rear-exit centerline listed on the page for a particular stove. I would prefer a hearth stove as well. I have 28.75" to work with, and freestanding stoves that will fit are pretty scarce. You might be able to top-vent, then go into the chimney several feet above that..but it would detract from the great look you have there now.

Keep an eye out for a used Jotul F3CB
Good call, would squeeze under that lintel and provide enough heat for a couple rooms.

Keep an eye out for a used Jotul F3CB.

PS: Is there a hearth extension protecting the floor?
Yes, there is an 18" hearth extension. I dont use the front load door anyway, and the install was permitted and inspected a couple years ago.

What is a jotul fireplace stove 3 ? Would that fit in there? I wish people would give better info in their adds.

Maybe the same stove or it may be its predecessor. Got pic?

a140b7d043970e3595568b1ca9fa4e90.jpg
I see three of these for sale local. This one and two white ones. All advertised as “jotul number 3”

Are these stoves convertible for top or rear vent? I am seeing them for sale both ways....

5ed827446ebd46bf86bab1ad8dbe26d5.jpg
Like this one, can it be converted to rear flue?

Also, this fireplace is one of those metal firebox types sitting inside masonry with a masonry chimney and 13x13 clay liner( with a 6" stainless liner inside that) can an inset be put in this fireplace at all?

025b5274ade9d15f775f1d1477616778.jpg

Like this

Bump for the evening crowd.

Hey 2broke2ride, if you don't mind me asking, are you replacing the stove because it is cracked/leaking? I have the same stove I believe, an Efel Arden Harmony Coal/Wood. I think it puts out 45K BTU's. I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger stove but can't find any exact detail on this one.

Hey 2broke2ride, if you don't mind me asking, are you replacing the stove because it is cracked/leaking? I have the same stove I believe, an Efel Arden Harmony Coal/Wood. I think it puts out 45K BTU's. I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger stove but can't find any exact detail on this one.

The fireback is cracked, it needs to be taken apart and all the seems resealed, and it has never had glass in it since I’ve owned it. ( has 1/4” steel plate)

Thanks begreen, what are your thoughts on putting an insert in this fireplace? Is it allowed/safe?
It’s not really considered a pre-fab is it?

An insert is fine and may allow a larger firebox depending on what fits there. There are some new inserts in this price range.

So even given the metal “heatilator” firebox an insert is fine? That is good news and gives us more options to think about still.

thoughts on putting an insert in this fireplace?
I'd be all over that barely-used F3CB, nice looking rig. Of course you'll have to look at it to make sure it is a cherry as they claim. You may even be able to talk 'em down a bit on the price. A freestander will heat when the power is out, better than an insert which will need the blower to get good heat output. Plus, I'd rather avoid blower noise if it was me.

I would love to jump on it now, unfortunately the funds will not be available until after tax season so that one will probably be gone.