Replacing Napoleon 1900 Wood Burner with a Harman P68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kenb1023

Mar 1, 2018
Edgewood New Mexico
I want to to replace my Napoleon 1900 with the Harman P68 pellet stove. What do I need to know or do? The 1900 has a 6" pipe for 9 feet and then transitions to an 8" pipe for ceiling / roof penetration. All of the 6" pipe is exposed in the room (High ceiling) The house is 3600 square feet in Edgewood NM and the stove is located in the center of the house. The 1900 works very good but I am getting tired of chasing down good wood to burn so have decide to switch to pellets after next season when my wood supply has been exhausted.
So things I need to know is: 1- Can I run the flue for the p68 up through the existing flue?. 2-What modifications need to be done? 3- Is it possible to get combustion air from the outside via the existing pipe? Any other comments or advice / tips are greatly welcomed.

You can ADAPT you pellet vent to the class A chimney with something like this:

upload_2018-3-1_19-4-36.png

You should run a liner to the cap from that adapter. I'd say there won't be any room for your OAK.
You will hafta figure out another method for that.

Depending on how tight your house is and local codes, you probably don’t need an outside air kit. In our area we use maybe one or two OAK a year. Be ready to burn lots of pellets. The p68 is a beast.

Depending on how tight your house is and local codes, you probably don’t need an outside air kit. In our area we use maybe one or two OAK a year. Be ready to burn lots of pellets. The p68 is a beast.
The house is not supper tight. I have 2 evaporate coolers (Swamp coolers) on the roof and even with all the vents closed and block-off plates in I still get a small amount of air through them when the wind picks up. I was told that there is a special pipe that has OAK as part of the exhaust flue so there was only one pipe. Was I misinformed? I decided on the P68 because of the size of the house 3600 square feet and that it is all on one floor. The wood burner goes through 3-6 cords of pine and juniper per winter depending how cold it was. This year we have had a warm winter with mid to upper 50s in the day and mid 20s at night for most of it and I have barely burned 3 cords of pine and cedar/juniper. Is the P68 to much?

I was told that there is a special pipe that has OAK as part of the exhaust flue so there was only one pipe. Was I misinformed?

Perhaps you misunderstood. There is a CAP that includes a combustion air intake, but it STILL requires separate intake & exhaust pipes...

The P68 may be a tad big for your home when running balls to the wall, but you CAN turn it down or run it on a t-stat...

Lol it freaked me when i first saw one. But i guess it would be handy in some situations!

The house is not supper tight. I have 2 evaporate coolers (Swamp coolers) on the roof and even with all the vents closed and block-off plates in I still get a small amount of air through them when the wind picks up. I was told that there is a special pipe that has OAK as part of the exhaust flue so there was only one pipe. Was I misinformed? I decided on the P68 because of the size of the house 3600 square feet and that it is all on one floor. The wood burner goes through 3-6 cords of pine and juniper per winter depending how cold it was. This year we have had a warm winter with mid to upper 50s in the day and mid 20s at night for most of it and I have barely burned 3 cords of pine and cedar/juniper. Is the P68 to much?
Its not too big. Just set the temp dial where you feel comfortable and let her rip. P68 is one of (if not the) best pellet stoves ever made.

Reactions: railfanron