Replacing non-EPA stove and have some concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gholland

Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
Western MI
I am replacing an old Timberline insert that had a sizable firebox (at least 3 cubic feet). It could swallow the wood and still have embers in the morning if I dialed it down, but it ate through a tremendous amount of wood. I am looking at getting a Country C260 which has a 2.6 cubic foot firebox. I have searched the forums and have not seen much of this model since Lennox purchased Country. I am considering it because my local dealer "carries" it, though he doesn't have any in inventory. Does anyone suppose that would be big enough to burn 24/7 without constant reloading? My fear is, that because I cannot dial down the newer stoves like I could on my Timberline I will still eat through just as much wood as the Timberline - albeit cleaner and maybe hotter - and still have to load it all the time because of the smaller firebox. Is this a legitimate concern?

For those reasons I was looking at the BK insert, but my wife's primary concern is the "look" of the fire (It was mentioned in a thread below that the BK's fire is not near as impressive as a non-cat fire and the window likely gets dirtier sooner and more often). My local dealer mostly carries gas so there really aren't any inserts I can see in person - that is why I've been lurking here for a while - this site is awesome. Also, the BK isn't exactly a looker in the photos I've seen, but to some extent, I imagine all inserts look more or less the same. Part of me wants to be talked into the BK for its utility, but deep down I feel like the BK dream is dead. Any guidance is appreciated.

gholland said:
I am replacing an old Timberline insert that had a sizable firebox (at least 3 cubic feet). It could swallow the wood and still have embers in the morning if I dialed it down, but it ate through a tremendous amount of wood. I am looking at getting a Country C260 which has a 2.6 cubic foot firebox. I have searched the forums and have not seen much of this model since Lennox purchased Country. I am considering it because my local dealer "carries" it, though he doesn't have any in inventory. Does anyone suppose that would be big enough to burn 24/7 without constant reloading? My fear is, that because I cannot dial down the newer stoves like I could on my Timberline I will still eat through just as much wood as the Timberline - albeit cleaner and maybe hotter - and still have to load it all the time because of the smaller firebox. Is this a legitimate concern?

For those reasons I was looking at the BK insert, but my wife's primary concern is the "look" of the fire (It was mentioned in a thread below that the BK's fire is not near as impressive as a non-cat fire and the window likely gets dirtier sooner and more often). My local dealer mostly carries gas so there really aren't any inserts I can see in person - that is why I've been lurking here for a while - this site is awesome. Also, the BK isn't exactly a looker in the photos I've seen, but to some extent, I imagine all inserts look more or less the same. Part of me wants to be talked into the BK for its utility, but deep down I feel like the BK dream is dead. Any guidance is appreciated.

I easily get 8+ hour burns with the 2 CF firebox in my PE Spectrum Classic (which is still working great, BTW). If I really pack it full 12 hour burns are not out of the question. So, to answer your question, new EPA approved stoves are perfected capable of overnight burns though some are better than others.

Why not just get a larger EPA approved insert, like a Pacific Energy Summit (which is the greatest woodstove of all time)?

The Country 260 is made locally and a tough stove. I don't know what Lennox is selling them for now, but it used to offer a good value. My friend has the original and it does a nice job of heating. However, it has a 8" flue which will make for a bit more pricey installation.

If the stove is going to be in the basement, then I wouldn't worry too much about the looks. If it is going to be in the living room, then meeting a compromise with your wife is a good plan. There are several good heaters that will give you a solid 6-8 hours of meaningful heating. The BK and Country are just two of them.

From what folks have posted, the BK will give heat at low stove temps for a longer burn. That is great for fall and spring burning. But this mostly depends on the house. If it is large and poorly insulated, come winter you will be pushing any stove hard. At that point the fuel consumption of the BK or the Country becomes a moot point. Either will eat fuel faster as you demand more warmth. However, both will use less fuel than the old Timberline because they are more efficient. This means more heat from the fuel used. Figure about 25% less fuel. If you get better results, you can come back here and brag about it. Many do. :)

The BK insert isn't a bad looking stove at all. The weird 'big mac' boxiness is tucked into the chimney. It's plain, whereas some other inserts are very attractive, but it's not ugly by any stretch.

It's true that the flames are not as nice. Even on high it's just a normal looking fire, not the awesome light show you get during the first hour or two burning each load with a non-cat. I kind of miss the light show, but not enough to go back...

Status
Not open for further replies.