Replacing select rocks from river rock hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Except its going to be impossible to make things flat/level/smooth due to the other rocks sticking up all around where you are trying to cut down in...could maybe cut some chunks out with a diamond blade and then level/smooth things out with a diamond cup...personally, I really think I'd just grout some little steel platforms for the legs to sit on, or do the same thing with a stove size steel plate...

His stove (looks like a heritage) has 4 skinny feet that only need 4 little flat spots at a specific place at the same elevation. The rest of the hearth can be a cobble mess.

Reactions: Prof
His stove (looks like a heritage) has 4 skinny feet that only need 4 little flat spots at a specific place at the same elevation. The rest of the hearth can be a cobble mess.
Right...my question was how you gonna make 4 lil flat spots with a cut off blade? Ain't saying it can't be done, but not easily, and probably not gonna be pretty...and certainly not easy for a newb...

Right...my question was how you gonna make 4 lil flat spots with a cut off blade? Ain't saying it can't be done, but not easily, and probably not gonna be pretty...and certainly not easy for a newb...

I wouldn’t use a cut off blade, those are great for cutting things off but a cup bit is made to mill down a surface.

Worst case, he still decides to remove those stones. A failed grinding attempt won’t matter.

I would get the stove where you want it. Then fill in under any leg with concrete. Maybe the land decently on the rocks. It look like cultured stone to me.