Replacing Temco TLC 36

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

c604

Feb 10, 2019
Morgantown, Indiana
Long time lurker and learner. I'm tired of sending good firewood up my chimney and not getting anything from it. I'm located in south central Indiana and am strongly considering the Kozy Heat Z42cd for its ease of replacing my old Temco fireplace. I would be burning in the evenings and on the weekends and then as I become more comfortable using it I would probably try 24-7 during really cold spells. My house is 2600 sq ft and has a good open floor plan that would put the fireplace centrally located. The house was built in 98 and I have a geothermal system as my primary heating and cooling that works very well and my utility bills are very reasonable. My wife and I just really love the fireplace and of course the older we get the colder we get!

I've searched the threads and it seems this unit will fit my needs. I guess I'm looking for some more feedback from the forum before I make the investment in it. I'm sitting on 450 acres of family farm and have an over abundance of available firewood, so much that I have resorted to selling it because I get tired of looking at it. I have started keeping the dead no bark red and white oak, shagbark hickory and locust for my personal use and sell everything else. Using this kind of firewood in my old Temco almost brings me to tears! Thanks for hearing my story and any insight into this project would be greatly appreciated.

The Kozy Z42 has been around for a while. It's a good unit. If increased efficiency is a goal, then also look at RSF, Pacific Energy, and Osburn fireplaces too. If you want to get the 26% tax credit then so far only the Montecito Estate qualifies. This is a cat fireplace with exceptional efficiency. The credit is for the complete installation. However, this is a bigger fireplace so measure first. The existing chase may not be large enough to fit it.