Replacing The Door Gasket, Is Usually A Good Thing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Realized it's been 3 - 4 years, burn times were shorter, wood well seasoned.

Came home, opened the PE's door and the gasket was flopping in the wind (sorry no pics!) :mad:

Nursed the insert overnight (short on sleep, a given), and replaced it tonight.

1015308_729638730396233_646438087_o.jpg

Use silicone, never had one fall off with silicone.

I've had a few gasket install failures over the years. I do it again and try to remember what I did wrong. I have good results with permatex copper ultra high temp RTV. Let it dry for a few days with the door closed.

Use silicone, never had one fall off with silicone.
I am a convert to using RTV. Many new stoves now have their gaskets adhered with black RTV silicone and Rutland has started selling it for stove gaskets. I used red RTV on my last install because it's what I had on hand. That was 5 yrs ago and there have been no issues.

I am a convert to using RTV. Many new stoves now have their gaskets adhered with black RTV silicone and Rutland has started selling it for stove gaskets. I used red RTV on my last install because it's what I had on hand. That was 5 yrs ago and there have been no issues.
I don't remember what I used the last time, but that night it was a tube of whatever The Chimney Sweep had sent me with the last gasket order.

The new gasket has made a world of difference. Back to 8 hour burns ;)

Reactions: begreen