Replacing the stove pipe and clay thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AliaLey

Jan 26, 2019
New York
Last year we used a Mansfield Hearthstone as the main heat for our downstairs. While the stove was great the previous owners had overfired it, warping the top and cracking several pieces of soapstone. We are now installing a brand new stove and when I went to hook up the pipe to the clay thimble I realized the thimble is angled down giving at least an inch drop. The manual for the new stove says a 1/4 inch rise per foot. The stove is a 6 inch pipe going to an 8 inch (interior) diameter thimble. The existing thimble has a crack which was recommended to be replaced the last time the chimney was cleaned. Are there any other options besides removing the old clay thimble and replacing it with the 1/4 rise per foot? This was a little more work then we had planned and are not sure how to proceed. We want the right fix not a quick fix.

What are our replacement and installation options?

Also the previous owner were DIY fail-ers so I have to ask does the stove pipe go all the way through the thimble or just connect to it like the pieces of stove pipe?

I still have to install a spark pad and wanted to reuse the soapstone tile from the Hearthstone, is there any reason I should not do that?

A little info please . What type of chimney? Masonry , liner , how high , does it go straight up inside the house envelope ? What kind of stove are you replacing the Mansfield with?

Last year we used a Mansfield Hearthstone as the main heat for our downstairs. While the stove was great the previous owners had overfired it, warping the top and cracking several pieces of soapstone. We are now installing a brand new stove and when I went to hook up the pipe to the clay thimble I realized the thimble is angled down giving at least an inch drop. The manual for the new stove says a 1/4 inch rise per foot. The stove is a 6 inch pipe going to an 8 inch (interior) diameter thimble. The existing thimble has a crack which was recommended to be replaced the last time the chimney was cleaned. Are there any other options besides removing the old clay thimble and replacing it with the 1/4 rise per foot? This was a little more work then we had planned and are not sure how to proceed. We want the right fix not a quick fix.

What are our replacement and installation options?

Also the previous owner were DIY fail-ers so I have to ask does the stove pipe go all the way through the thimble or just connect to it like the pieces of stove pipe?

I still have to install a spark pad and wanted to reuse the soapstone tile from the Hearthstone, is there any reason I should not do that?
What type of wall does the thimble pass tgrough

It passes through a brick wall. I will try and post a picture with the new stove.
Ok is the entire wall brick or is it just a brick face over a combustible wall?

The brick wall has a brick chimney behind it. This is an exterior wall. Clay liner. 16 feet? is my husbands guess. I believe it is a US Stove Magnolia.

Attachments

• 20181230_135842.jpg
    20181230_135842.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 257
Ok is the entire wall brick or is it just a brick face over a combustible wall?
As far as I can tell the brick directly behind the woodstove was set directly on the block foundation and not over something combustible like the brick to the side.

As far as I can tell the brick directly behind the woodstove was set directly on the block foundation and not over something combustible like the brick to the side.
Ok as long as there are no hidden combustibles you can simply replace the clay crock

Ok as long as there are no hidden combustibles you can simply replace the clay crock

We bought the replacement piece but the 8 inch stove pipe does not fit all the way through, only the crimped portion of the pipe fits into the clay. How is the stove pipe supposed to connect to the thimble? Also what type mortar do I need for the replacement? I have mortar left over from the hearth pad.

We bought the replacement piece but the 8 inch stove pipe does not fit all the way through, only the crimped portion of the pipe fits into the clay. How is the stove pipe supposed to connect to the thimble? Also what type mortar do I need for the replacement? I have mortar left over from the hearth pad.
The pipe should go through the thimble flush with the inner wall of the liner. You can just use standard type s or n mortar