Replacing WoodMaster 4400, Thinking of going coal... Recommendations ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jcannon81

Jul 11, 2022
North East Pennsylvania
As the header states, have an a woodmaster 4400 that we purchased used 10 years ago, don't know how old it was when we bought it... 2 years ago we needed it to be rebuilt, new door, fuel box cut and repaired...

Looking to replace it this year and wanting to go coal. I would love to be able to fill a hopper and then leave the house for a few days. Any suggestions, warnings, etc...

Personally, I'd replace it with a gassifying OWB. A gasifier is a lot more efficient than an coal boiler, not having to cut split and stack wood would be nice also. Crown Royal and Heatmaster both make OWB's that will burn coal.

With both stoves, I doubt you'll be able to fill the "hopper" and walk away for a few days. If you are looking for something with a hopper then you'll want something that burns pea coal ( preferably anthracite ) vs lump coal. I know a lot of the Amish around here use Hitzer pea coal stoves, but they are inside their houses vs being outside since they generally ( depends on the sect ) don't have electricity.

I would love to be able to fill a hopper and then leave the house for a few days
Pellet boiler...but personally I'm not giving up my wood burners...no interest in being beholden to "the supply chain" issues for heat

Last edited:
Reactions: sloeffle
Pellet boiler...but personally I'm not giving up my wood burners...no interest in being beholden to "the supply chain" issues for heat
Same, or the random price increases because someone high up the food chain wants a fatter paycheck.

Reactions: brenndatomu