Reply from my building inspector on Bedroom pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmountvernon

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2011
SE Mass
" can i install a pellet stove in a bedroom"

factory built fireplaces must be listed and labeled and be installed in accordance with the conditions of the listing as provided for in the Mass State Building Code Section R1004.1.

the answer is YES or NO Mr Inspector... i dont think he knows the answer lol

NFPA211 says "no way Jose"

I was afraid to call inspector because all install guidelines say vent should be at least 4 feet away from window and mine is not...then I see US Stove sells a stove that sits and vents right in the window which makes me scratch my head.

celticsgreen said:
I was afraid to call inspector because all install guidelines say vent should be at least 4 feet away from window and mine is not...then I see US Stove sells a stove that sits and vents right in the window which makes me scratch my head.

The 4' is clearance to an operable window, with the pellet stove in the window it can no longer be operated.

ETA: With an OAK some stoves can be vented closer than the 4'

SmokeyTheBear said:
celticsgreen said:

The 4' is clearance to an operable window, with the pellet stove in the window it can no longer be operated.

As per MFG 18" on Harman and Quad.

Eric

SmokeyTheBear said:
celticsgreen said:

I have newer replacement windows that when double locked, as they are, really seal...there is no way an air conditioner style pellet stove hanging out an opened window can be nearly as safe as my setup where the vent is about 3 feet away.

If you were to spike the windows within 4' you would also be code compliant.

That window unit isn't just hanging out there are supports to hold it in place and I believe it has a built in outside air intake and has to be sealed to the framing.

SmokeyTheBear said:

That window unit isn't just hanging out there are supports to hold it in place and I believe it has a built in outside air intake and has to be sealed to the framing.

What do mean spike the window--like nail them shut? The window pellet stove may be safe if properly installed, but I think there is a lot of room for error at least in a self-installation and there may be an element in its appeal to people looking for an easy, quick solution.

celticsgreen said:

Add a 45 and a length of pipe to make it 48"

celticsgreen said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

What do mean spike the window--like nail them shut? The window pellet stove may be safe if properly installed, but I think there is a lot of room for error at least in a self-installation and there may be an element in its appeal to people looking for an easy, quick solution.

Ah yes on the nailing and as for proper install that is what the manual is for.

Plenty of room for errors and a lot of errors take place, there is a certain limit to how much one can be protected from one's self.

Case in point installing .... but I digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.