resealing an old defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I saw the link to the instructions on how to breakdown and re assembly the stove. Seems to involved for me and some of the parts such as the rods that go from the top straight through to the bottom I cant locate. I was wondering if I get a tube of the stove sealant and reseal from the outside all the joints. Would this work?? Any suggestions or advise would greatly be appreciated. Anyone who has done a reseal please let me know your experiences ?

Thank You

Doesn't sound right to me. I suspect you should seal the mating surfaces, not just caulk the outsides of the joints.
Just my $.02

How old is the stove ? If its the old stove ,77 vintage you can take it apart easy because it has nuts and bolts on the top and bottom . You can just cut the bolts on the in side, and the stove will fall apart . The newer ones are more trouble and it is very possible that you will find parts that need to be replaced . I had a VC dutch west that i burned for around 15 years . It needed to be resealed and need some new parts . The stove would have cost me about 800 bucks for parts and a gasket kit and a full weeked to do the rebuild. A new stove was 1600 dropped at my door . I just bought a new hearthstone equinox . It was time for a change. I think if you don't see any broken parts you have a 50/50 chance of not needing any . I don't thing you could just splurge on the sealer like caulk it needs to be between the joints. It would have been better to do the rebuild the stove in the spring so you had some time to get parts. What makes you think the stove is leaking? You could lite a match and work it around the seams the flam will get sucked in if there is a leak . The leak mite just be a gasket.

I dont know how old it is. It was in the house when I bought it. The old owner said he used it and it worked fine, but after I lite a fire and it got up to temp 500 Started to notice the room was getting smokey. So in the dark I turned on a flashlight and was able to see smoke comming from the back of the top plate. I tighted the nuts and bolts and it seemed to diminish ( the smoke) . I was looking at resealing because I can not find absolutely no parts, and I dont want to disassembly and no be able to reassemble.

yes some of that stove cement should work put it inside, let it dry then small fire to fully cure it. If that doesn't work then you will have to rebuild it.

kwikrp said:
I saw the link to the instructions on how to breakdown and re assembly the stove. Seems to involved for me and some of the parts such as the rods that go from the top straight through to the bottom I cant locate. I was wondering if I get a tube of the stove sealant and reseal from the outside all the joints. Would this work?? Any suggestions or advise would greatly be appreciated. Anyone who has done a reseal please let me know your experiences ?

Thank You

It is a good days work to knock down and rebuild this stove. If you rely on the stove a lot, I say do it right and your reward will be a tightly controlled stove capable of intense output and secondary combustion. I was really stunned at the improvement this work made on my stove, a close copy of the Defiant, and I thought mine was in pretty good shape to begin with.

If the stove sees part-time use, you can seal from the outside, as I did, with good results for years. However, you cannot easily repair the secondary air passage from outside, though some repairs to this are possible. A leaking secondary air passage causes much mischief in the Defiant, chief of which is it becomes an unregulated source of primary air.

Status
Not open for further replies.