Resin in wood ok to burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

eshwars

May 22, 2021
seattle
Hi all,

While splitting wood recently, I found a log that has a significant amount of resin (dried up tree sap?). It's hard like a rock. It's so hard that my axe was bouncing off it it when I tried to split that log.

This season I got a PE Summit LE insert that's been working great. Is it safe to burn a log like the one I've described in the insert? The resin clog anything up or harm the insert? I'm attaching a picture to show what the log looks like.

Thanks in advance for your help!
IMG_0007.jpg

Yes, you can burn wood with resin. If it's rock hard, it's likely dried enough. It'll be ok. Don't let it smolder (but the same holds for wood) and you'll be fine.

BTW, I don't see a large amount of resin on that split. Sometimes one can have tennis ball size resin quantities...

Hi all,

While splitting wood recently, I found a log that has a significant amount of resin (dried up tree sap?). It's hard like a rock. It's so hard that my axe was bouncing off it it when I tried to split that log.

This season I got a PE Summit LE insert that's been working great. Is it safe to burn a log like the one I've described in the insert? The resin clog anything up or harm the insert? I'm attaching a picture to show what the log looks like.

Thanks in advance for your help!

View attachment 287100

My wood comes from logging waste so lots of butts. Those fir butts have tons of dry white pitch/sap. Sometimes it’s wet at first but dries up later. Yes, I burn it in noncat and cat stoves. It’s never run away on me. You may notice some extra black smoke and yellow flames at first.

It's fine. We get that too occasionally. It will melt with heat and accelerate ignition of that area for a short while. Turn down the air accordingly.

I like using small pieces of resinous wood to start fires. Lights easily.

I like using small pieces of resinous wood to start fires. Lights easily.
I don’t recommend a whole split of it with a full load on a hot bed of coals on a windy night. Parts started glowing.

Reactions: Dave_in_ABQ
Thank you all for the responses. Overall it helps put my mind at ease that I'm not doing something drastically wrong by burning resinous wood.

Reactions: clancey