Resolute III Cross Burn Mode

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a nice used Resolute III stove and this is my first winter using it. I have tried on two occasions to burn it with the damper closed in what I think VC calls cross burn. I have been unable to keep the temp up. Prior to trying it with the damper closed the griddle temp was around 500 and the pipe temp was 250. I have a masonry chimney. Is it hopeless to try cross burn unless I have a chimney liner? Is there a better chance for success once it gets much colder outside - 20s and 30s?

I bought a nice used Resolute III stove and this is my first winter using it. I have tried on two occasions to burn it with the damper closed in what I think VC calls cross burn. I have been unable to keep the temp up. Prior to trying it with the damper closed the griddle temp was around 500 and the pipe temp was 250. I have a masonry chimney. Is it hopeless to try cross burn unless I have a chimney liner? Is there a better chance for success once it gets much colder outside - 20s and 30s?
Hi, I'm brand new to this forum and was happy to find it. I was just gifted an older Resolute and have been researching parts, operation, maintainence, etc. I'm not quite sure which model I have (can't seem to find a model number on the placard) but I suspect it's a resolute 3. Anyway, my stove has a secondary inlet port on the lower side which I believe must be open to run in the horizontal burn mode. Guess my stove sat around for quite a while, I pulled out a large nest from in between the fire back... maybe yours is blocked??? Does your stove have 2 doors? Where is the model number located?

My understanding is ones with two doors are Resolute III. When I bought mine last spring I gutted the insides and did a thorough cleaning and replaced all gaskets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.