Resolute rebuild help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve6

Sep 10, 2006
Hi
I'm new here and just got an old but in good shape Resloute I, It's in great shape but the fireback is loose and the damper will not operate smoothly. I took it apart and seem to have all the parts but my question is - does it only assemble with refractory cement and is that strong enough to hold it together? There does not seem to be any bolts to hold the back in place and when I get it all fitted and operating smoothly it always seems to loosen up. I have looked at the Vermont Casting web site but I cannot find any info on the older Resolute stoves. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The top is groved or channelled to receive the front sides and rear scrape out all old refactory cement and gunk up the entire grove
There are 4 threaded rods that ar nutted on the bottom 7/16" that hold the top and bottom and apply pressure to the sides and thats all that bolts the major v components together. The Resolute Acclaim I just replaced the top and rebuilt is on it way to a new home in southern ME. Forum member mike thomas bought it was very happy with his prize stove

Follow up on by story and pictures on my Resolute acclaim re build I have to yet detail or record the steps involver vacation time cut int to that But I intend to Wiki it

Steve6 said:
Hi
I'm new here and just got an old but in good shape Resloute I, It's in great shape but the fireback is loose and the damper will not operate smoothly. I took it apart and seem to have all the parts but my question is - does it only assemble with refractory cement and is that strong enough to hold it together? There does not seem to be any bolts to hold the back in place and when I get it all fitted and operating smoothly it always seems to loosen up. I have looked at the Vermont Casting web site but I cannot find any info on the older Resolute stoves. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

If you have a broadband connection I can e-mail you the Resolute repair manual.

The fireback is held in place by the side plates. These side plates are held in by threaded bolts. If your fireback is one peice you have an earlier model. If it is two peice the upper fireback is bolted through the back of the stove. The cement is used to seal the air channels in this case and the bolts hold everything together. The exterior panels are also cemented together. In that case they do serve a support function but the tie rods do most of the work of holding the panels together.

Let me know if you want the manual e-mailed.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.