restore porcelain ( or enamel?) paint on Hearthstone Tucson

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Dec 28, 2012
I have inherited a Hearthstone Tucson , 2004 vintage , with brown porcelain or enamel paint ...the top has several areas that are dull , cloudy, splotchy , etc ... I have tried several cleaning products , light rubbing compound , etc with no luck ...don't know what paint they used , and get no info so far from the factory ( they do sell a porcelain touch up bottle)...I don't want to repaint if possible ... any thoughts about wet sanding with 2000 ? or any other ideas ?

it is a baked porcelain enamel

did you try "goof off" or acetone?

super fine steel wool shouldn't scratch the porcelain(sand paper will however!), but do a small test on an out of the way surface before going hogwild.

re: touch-up,
their brown is Majolica, or multi tone. And the touch up is single tone, so often the blemish will look better than the touch-up

pictures would be helpful in advising you :)

it is a baked porcelain enamel

did you try "goof off" or acetone?

super fine steel wool shouldn't scratch the porcelain(sand paper will however!), but do a small test on an out of the way surface before going hogwild.

re: touch-up,
their brown is Majolica, or multi tone. And the touch up is single tone, so often the blemish will look better than the touch-up

pictures would be helpful in advising you :)

thanks Dave for the ideas , agree that even 2000 grit may be too much ...will try yours ...not sure pics will do it justice but will try a few ... actually I have memories of great ( wood ) fires in a Hearthstone in Nevada City ...maybe it was one of yours !

thanks Dave for the ideas , agree that even 2000 grit may be too much ...will try yours ...not sure pics will do it justice but will try a few ... actually I have memories of great ( wood ) fires in a Hearthstone in Nevada City ...maybe it was one of yours !
well I tried all your suggestions and no go ...it looks like whatever is wrong is baked right in to the paint not a stain or on top of surface ...I took some pics and will try to figure how to post them ...looks like I may just have to live with this , factory still no help .

Attachments

• IMG_4169.JPG
    IMG_4169.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_4164.JPG
    IMG_4164.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_4166.JPG
    IMG_4166.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_4167.JPG
    IMG_4167.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_4168.JPG
    IMG_4168.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 278
looks like mineral deposits on the surface to me, i see white stains on cast heat ex changer etc.
(was the unit stored in a very corrosive environment like a meth lab? lol)

might try "white-off" LINK and steel wool
(steel is softer than porc. and shouldn't scratch even w/elbow grease)

their brown touch-up will look horrible over such a large area....

Try some white vinegar straight on a spot that is hidden let it set on there for a while. wipe with a wet rag and water, dry. It looks like hard water spots..

looks like mineral deposits on the surface to me, i see white stains on cast heat ex changer etc.
(was the unit stored in a very corrosive environment like a meth lab? lol)

might try "white-off" LINK and steel wool
(steel is softer than porc. and shouldn't scratch even w/elbow grease)

their brown touch-up will look horrible over such a large area....

well , think I have found the culprit ... believe it was sprayed with a home fire extinguisher , not good !!! ... so looks like the dark top coat has been toasted by whatever chemical ( halon , PKP , bicarbonate , etc ) that was in extinguisher , and it's shot ...if I want to fix it , new top casting costs $233 , unless there is a miracle fix !!

thanks everyone for your help/ideas ...

Status
Not open for further replies.