Restoring My Splitter ( Pic Heavy )

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

Today I finally found time to start disassembly and restoration of my splitter. I took it apart at 8 am washed it at 9:30ish am. It was totally caked with grease so thick I ended up torching some of it off but it was worth it. It came clean after a few hours of repeated soaking with degreaser and a ton of Dawn dish soap with a power washer ;lol. So far I have 2 coats of Rustoleum Professional Rusty Metal Primer over it with Magic Catalyst added to that. Next I will be using Rustoleum Professional Enamel not sure what color yet it too will be catalyzed. The splitter dried almost completely within 4 hours. That catalyst is sweet stuff ! Sorry I don't have a better pics yet for ya that will come next weekend !

( Edit ) I painted with the $12 purple Harbor Freight HVLP gun. It lays a nice smooth finish to my surprise !

Pete

Attachments

• IMAG0035.jpg
    IMAG0035.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 481
  • IMAG0103.jpg
    IMAG0103.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 355
  • IMAG0105.jpg
    IMAG0105.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 349
  • IMAG0106.jpg
    IMAG0106.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 358
  • IMAG0107.jpg
    IMAG0107.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 326
Looks great, Pete.
Potentially perfect product of professional painting procedure.;)

What do you think for color Dave ? I was thinking hot pink but the wife says its not manly enough pfft women !

Pete

Poignant platitudes permeate ...oh hell, never mind.
I think what she's trying to tell you, is that she doesn't want to help. Hence, the manly comment.
If it were pink, she might feel obligated to help.
How about a nice chartreuse (yes, I had to use spell-check on that one>>)? Actually, I'm partial to Ford blue.:cool:

Reactions: Pallet Pete
I like where your going here Dave maybe black frame and beam with a blue cylinder and tank ? Heck I could even add spinners ! Lol How's that sound ? They only have about 50000000 colors to choose from in there lineup so it should be easy right....

Pete

Ha that would be sweet I could make the beam a racing stripe lol ! I like the blue seriously I do ! Pallet Pete perceives a properly painted blue pine popper in the predictable future.

Pete

Orange and gray.

This is getting duller every minute.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
How about a basic battleship gray. Primer brown.:rolleyes:
Orange and white?:cool:
Neon blue green orange with ground effects and spinner caps ! Lol

Pete

I'm waiting to see it with bark & wood chunks laying around
the new "high speed" pump in action :)

I have been thinking about doing mine. I just have to many other things that seem to take a priority. I am interested to see yours finished. Maybe that will motivate me. Keep up the good work.

Dan

Maybe a hammered finish? Hides imperfections in the surface/paint extremely well plus the paint is usually tough as nails.

They make a few colors that look great, hammered black is one of my favorite "project" paints.

Maybe a hammered finish? Hides imperfections in the surface/paint extremely well plus the paint is usually tough as nails.

They make a few colors that look great, hammered black is one of my favorite "project" paints.
Are you referring to hammerite ? Rustoleum hammerd isn't so good anymore at least on my truck box. I looked all over for hammerite but it is hard to find.

Pete

I'm waiting to see it with bark & wood chunks laying around
the new "high speed" pump in action :)

The old girl is gonna fly Dave ! 5hp motor 4" cylinder 11gpm 2 stage pump and a cup holder...
Pete

This color with a Tasmanian Devil stickers on it.
l_248696c9b36958d60387a3d4a1a00fe0.jpg

Tasmanian_Devil.jpg

And maybe some new wheels

JUNIRGREEN_014.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.