Q&A Resurfacing fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a brick fireplace that is painted at the present time. I'm thinking of possibly remodeling my house. I want to make the house have a Tudor cottage feel. I have seen a photo of a limestone fireplace that I like. Is there a way to resurface over the brick to make it look as if it were old limestone? Could it be done with concrete? Would you mix limestone dust into the last coat? I don't have the money to remove the fireplace and have areal limestone one put in. I would be happy with just having it look and feel like limestone.

Answer:

You could definitely stucco over the brick, but trying to make it look exactly like a certain type of stone is probably best left to the pros. Another method would be to use a thin facing stone (cultured stone) which is cemented on top of the brick. Try http://www.culturedstone.com for ideas.

Link: Cultured Stone Site

Status
Not open for further replies.