returning adapter because of screw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ramdez

Hearth Supporter
Dec 29, 2009
eastern PA
so i was doing my first full cleaning and went to ram the cleaner down the exhaust behind the ash bin of my harman p61a and it stops. i look down the tube with a flashlight and see a piece of metal. i take the adapter off the back and stick my hand in it and feel the metal. i take the adapter off at the cleanout and look inside. here there's a single screw that gets put into the exhaust tin and into the cast adapter. the self tapping screw didn't pierce the internal sleeve all the way and instead pushed it about 3/4" away from the adapter and created a cup where tons of ash is packed.

think the installer should replace for free? it looks like the internal sleeve is fixed to the adapter permanently. I"m going out tomorrow to find out.

crap, well i took it to the stove place where i got it and they said its no big deal. just bend it back really hard and then fill any gaps with their silicone. i used a channel locks and bent the 'mouth' like part back tight against the adapter and just put a little silicone in like they said. i then looked down the exhaust shoot and couldn't even see the mouth like gap because it was hidden behind the non oval stove > adapter shape. putting the adapter back in and lining up all of my joints was a PIA so i think to clean that part from now on i'll just take the sensor out, ram all the way back back to the down pipe and then clean out.

Status
Not open for further replies.