Reversible Flue Outlet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sun&Snow

Nov 22, 2022
Colorado
Anyone know what is meant by a reversible flue outlet (Jotul Series 8)? Do they mean straight out the back vs. upwards? This stove has a smoke hole cover on the top that looks like it could possibly accommodate a flue pipe, but I assume that's not what it's for, since the catalyst is in the back. Just curious, because if I could, I'd move the flue from the back to the top.

Anyone know what is meant by a reversible flue outlet (Jotul Series 8)? Do they mean straight out the back vs. upwards?
Some of the older Jotul stoves had a 45 degree surface at the back to which you'd bolt a 45-degree flue collar adapter. You could switch from horizontal to vertical by simply spinning the adapter 180 degrees on this 45-degree surface.

Some of the older Jotul stoves had a 45 degree surface at the back to which you'd bolt a 45-degree flue collar adapter. You could switch from horizontal to vertical by simply spinning the adapter 180 degrees on this 45-degree surface.
Thanks!

From Jotul 8 series manual on Jotul site:

jotul8.png

Thanks! I've read that. I believe I'd have to remove the flue pipe to access those internal bolts. I don't have easy access to the pipe, which in the end, is what I'm after. I guess by reversible, they mean straight out the back vs. upwards.
Yes, on both points. You'd have to get inside to remove and reverse it, but after that, you could set it up like this:

IMG_8310.JPG

Then you just need to remove the lower plug to sweep.

Do note that this setup will reduce your draft a bit, which could be a good thing if your pipe is over 20 feet high, but could hurt you a bit if you're scraping by on low draft already.

Yes, on both points. You'd have to get inside to remove and reverse it, but after that, you could set it up like this:

View attachment 304033

Then you just need to remove the lower plug to sweep.

Do note that this setup will reduce your draft a bit, which could be a good thing if your pipe is over 20 feet high, but could hurt you a bit if you're scraping by on low draft already.
Oh, I see! Great idea. Then it's a straight shot. Thanks for the warning about the draft. It's pretty hard to get going as it is.

Oh, I see! Great idea. Then it's a straight shot. Thanks for the warning about the draft. It's pretty hard to get going as it is.
I don't remember the details of how much draft this stove likes, it's been awhile since we had many members with Jotul 8's, and they even made multiple versions of the 8 that were different internally. But for most cases of a stove on the first floor, 15 feet would be minimal, and anything over 25 feet tends to suck a little too hard. But there are so many variables with landscape, roof design, basement vs. 2nd floor install, competing appliances, and how easy your house breathes, that there's no way to guess at this.

I do remember my Jotul 12's, which were downdraft cat stoves, took a good head of steam to push them over the hump to cat light-off. Once lit, it would chug along like a freight train, but you'd want a good strong fire going before closing that bypass and shooting for initial light-off. The country fair midway Bowler Roller game of stove designs, if there ever were one.

Reactions: Sun&Snow