Revisit of old CDW2461 Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Ruggeri

Nov 23, 2012
Rhode Island
I posted this thread last year -https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/vc-dw2461-troubles.100704/
Had some troubles with a second hand CDW2461, fixed all of those troubles last year and all has been ok with it since. Fast forward to this past week - On Friday night the Inner Top Web fell out, and appears too warped to get it back in. I haven't used it since, and during that last load tested all the seams for leaks again (canned smoke and incense), and they all appear to be tight. Cat is definitely shot, not even a chance of that thing lighting off any more. Can still see the combustor lighting off above the cat which is pretty cool.

For 2 winters we used it as the primary heat source - Unheated but insulated Ground floor install, in our 2 story 'cottage'. I knew this day would be coming, and had 175 Gallons of Oil Delivered last March as backup. My wife (yes, the one in another thread I posted), was asking about using it in case we lose power during "snowmageddon" tonight. My common sense tells me HELL NO, but I said I'd have to "read up on it" (which means post here and get some REAL opinions). I've read of these stoves being run without the Refractory and Cat (references to it in the manual), but it would seem to me without them or the inner top web, it puts flame in direct contact with the top of the Stove and Pipe, effectively turning it into a dangerous Smoke Dragon. Am I correct, or just overly paranoid?

I'll answer any questions and I can dig through my old posts to throw up pics if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.