Revisiting soapstone placed on Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MAD MARK

Feeling the Heat
Jan 31, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
After some thinking about cooking on newly painted stove, I've come up with a few options.

1. Dont
2. Use trivet with nubs cut off
3. Use pan directly on top
4. Use soapstone on top then pan on that

I've tried 1 and got hungry.
I've tried 2 and worked alright.
I haven't tried 3 yet.
I've tried 4 and worked alright too.

With option 4 the soapstone is placed directly on top of steel stove. This has given me a weird smell. Not sure if soapstone off gassing or maybe just getting too hot (650°F) at times.

I have searched for past history here and see that @firefighterjake has done the same. I have seen others did so with spacers.

I took off the soapstone (550°F) from top of stove and brought inside my house to living room. 5 hours later it finally hit 100°F all the while giving off a nice radiant heat.

With it running on top and at those temperatures, am I only looking at premature failure of the soapstone (ie cracking splitting)? I could not find evidence of it actually harming the stovetop being in direct contact.

I will upload a picture of the soapstone at a later time as I am at work right now pondering...

Since we already have soapstone on top our stove.. I find cooking right on it is just to hot for most things. We use a cast iron trivet under cast iron cookware, for anything that needs slow simmering etc.. (which, honestly is what we do most of the time.. stews, soups, roasts, etc..)

I haven't had much experience using either of the methods above except neither.

Ihaven't read any of the other soapstone user manuals to see if those break ins are different. I was just worried maybe the stone needs to be slow cured.

As a stove material, it does in fact need a couple small "break in fires" every season to dry it out, but I suspect the stone a stove is made from, is heated differently, and way higher, then a piece just laying on top a steel or cast iron stove...

Here my setup with it.

20181114_153855.jpg