Revived Timberline

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ccmac

Burning Hunk
Jan 1, 2014
Indiana
image.jpeg Just sanded and painted my old Timberline today. Sanded and used stiff wire wheel on angle grinder. Cleaned everything up then painted with Stove Bright flat black. Really please with how great it looks! Gonna get some high temp silver to frost the tree tips and top of Timberline.

The stove looks great, nice job!

I'm a bit concerned about the clearances though. What does the stove manual say? if unlisted it's supposed to be 36" in all directions. The single-wall stove pipe looks too close too, especially if that is just brick veneer.

Clearances huh? I really had'nt thought I was in any danger with this setup? The pipe is approx 8in off the brick wall. There is about a 1-2in airspace then plywood, then rigid insulation, then metal. What do you think? Should I pull the stove away a bit?

Clearances are measured to the nearest combustible. In this case that sounds like the plywood. To be kosher for a 66% clearance reduction the air space is to be ventilated at top and bottom to allow free airflow behind it. As it stands it qualifies for a 33% clearance reduction if this is full brick.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-stove-wall-clearances-primer.147785/

It's your call. Would it be possible to remove a few bricks to open up the brick wall at the bottom and top to allow good airflow behind it?

Last edited:
Actually, it has two bricks at the bottom directly behind the stove that I left out to get air flow and there are no bricks closing in the top....they just stop near the trusses (so lots of airflow up there). At the truss level I used double walled pipe and placed a heat shield up there. Does that sound okay? I have not noticed anything appearing too hot? But then it'd be kinda tough to know whats happening behind the brick. I built the brick wall because I had a bunch left from the house and I liked the idea of thermal mass sucking up heat and radiating it slowly....plus I needed to protect that wall.

That is the same stove my folks had when I was a little tike. Clearances or not, it looks nice and sure brings on some nostalgia.

IMG_0483.JPG
Well I thought I'd finish up the Timberline this evening. Here's the finished job. The stove literally looks new now! This stove is in my shop, I have a PE Summit Classic and an Alderlea T5 in the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that looks great. Almost makes me feel badly for leaving my old shop stove with so much 'patina' on it. That's the cool word for beat and rusty right?

Status
Not open for further replies.