RFS Opel 2 c

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

george1

Oct 26, 2015
wisc
I had a RFS Opel 2c with double glass doors installed in my house in 2018. Since the beginning, after as little as an hour burn time, the left door window will start to fill up with soot. After 5 hours, it is almost completely blocked. You can stand right in front of it and not be able to see flames. The right hand door will get a little build up in the lower corner after burning for days. I am not getting much cooperation from my installer, United Brick & fireplace. They don't think it's anything to do the door itself. They tried an extension on the flue, no difference. Talked to Rfs directly, said they hadn't heard of this issue. Anybody familiar with this problem?

I had a RFS Opel 2c with double glass doors installed in my house in 2018. Since the beginning, after as little as an hour burn time, the left door window will start to fill up with soot. After 5 hours, it is almost completely blocked. You can stand right in front of it and not be able to see flames. The right hand door will get a little build up in the lower corner after burning for days. I am not getting much cooperation from my installer, United Brick & fireplace. They don't think it's anything to do the door itself. They tried an extension on the flue, no difference. Talked to Rfs directly, said they hadn't heard of this issue. Anybody familiar with this problem?
The 2 main reasons why your glass gets dirty are wet wood and/or wood loaded too close to the glass.

I have an rsf opel 3C and had a lot more issues with dirty glass with wet wood and the learning curve of the stove. I’ve had mine installed since 2016 and had to replace the catalyst last year along with door gaskets. Have you done a dollar bill test? I had to tighten my door a little bit to get a good seal. Still get occasional blacking if I’m impatient and turn down the air fast. Denser wood that burn hotter also makes a difference.

I have a moisture meter and check my wood regularly. Never had a reading above 16%. Tried putting wood farther back in firebox, so far no difference. Dollar bill test also checks out good. The odd thing to me is how the build is so bad on left door only.

I have a moisture meter and check my wood regularly. Never had a reading above 16%. Tried putting wood farther back in firebox, so far no difference. Dollar bill test also checks out good. The odd thing to me is how the build is so bad on left door only.
That often is an indication of air leaking. Check the gasket seal again and make sure it has adhered to the door.