Rheostat for Aurora

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

69_Eliminator

Nov 26, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hello All, I use an Aurora insert to heat my house. I am wanting to replace the rheostat because I don't get much fan speed adjustment from it and thinking it may be wore out since it's more than likely the original thermostat from 30+ years ago.

Does anyone know if I could just get a rheostat from a hardware store or does it need to be something specific? The stove runs three "C-frame" fan motors like is found in bathroom exhaust fans.

Thanks!

I suggest you unplug the unit & remove the rheostat.
Go to a hearth shop or an electronics supply store or simply
google the info you find on the one you removed.
As long as you match the numbers, you should be OK.

Certainly good advice above. Finding a replacement without a bit of info about the original could be tricky. If it's a true 'rheostat' then it's basically a large, variable resistor which controls the amount of power going to the fan, thus, the speed. If you couldn't find an exact replacement, you'd at least want to know the wattage and resistance range from the old unit, then get something of equal or greater wattage and comparable resistance range.

A light dimmer would be a tempting option, but those use modern solid state electronic circuitry and are really only meant for a pure resistive load (ie incandescent lightbulb), not an inductive load like a motor. So a mismatch there could lead to audible humming/squealing of the motor and eventually a burned out dimmer, motor or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.